Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

venison

toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do not in any way shapr or form like venison, but my friends do and I may choose to cook some up, but before i attempt, is venison something that turns out well on a smoker?[p]is there a reliable method?

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    toomsdpt,
    Since it is a VERY lean meat, be carefull not to dry it out. Do someting to add moisture if you can. Such as marinade in italian dressing for example. Cook to med rare at the donest or it will get very dry. I have had mixed results.

• Marinade it in a good steak marinade overnight. Then as rr says cook it to medium rare. If its a back strap (Loin), cook it on direct heat 450-500', 8" sections. Just cook it till it starts to firm up, rotating it every 4 or 5 minutes. When its browned on all sides and medium rare-pull it off and carve when ready to serve. It should be nice and pinkish red still in the middle and plenty moist. It will be much better served warm or hot. Once it cools off, it gets a little stronger in flavor. Make sure you trim off the silver skin on the bottom of loin. If doing steaks, make them atleast 1" thick and preferrably a little thicker so they don't over cook. Less is better in terms of doneness. Good eats, Venison back strap is one of my favorites. Another option is to marinade, cover in Steak seasoning and cut up into shishk-a-bobs with pepers onions and mushrooms and zuchini. Same concept. Medium to medium rare.
  • wrap it in bacon while cooking. It will add moisture and a delightful flavor...you could also wrap it in foil and slap some butter in there along with the bacon. You won't be disappointed...even if you don't like venison, you should try it when prepared this way and get back to me on your fondness of the prepared product.
  • toomsdpt,
    Marinate steaks in Italian dressing overnight. Get the egg a little warm, around 450 and just sear the steaks(if that is what you have) and leave them towards a med rare or the will dry out. I haven’t done much on roast on the EGG. I have only crock potted them completely covered in Italian dressing and cooked for about 4 hours until it falls apart.

• toomsdpt,[p]As other have said, don't over cook it. [p]Lazydog