Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What accessories to get with Large Egg, I think I finally wore her down!

Turkey
Turkey Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well gang, I think I finally broke the wife. I knew her resolve wasn't as strong as she wanted me to think. We are going some night this week to get the large egg and I need to know what accessories are a must. I want to cook mostly Butts and Ribs so I need an indirect rig set up. Also need to use a pizza stone but wonder if I can just use the one we have now for the oven.[p]Only one condition on the Egg, we have to get new deck furniture as well. I'm doing a good job of making it seem like a big compromise, I wanted new furniture anyway just hadn't told her yet.[p]Thanks for any advice you can give me.[p]Turkey

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Turkey,
    V-rack, plate setter, ash tool, might want to get a BGE pizza stone, dome thermometer and a polder or the like (to check internal temps). The rest of the toys can come later.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Turkey,
    first off congrats..as I`m a newbie I`m sure others can add to the list...you will definately need the dasiy wheel top ( dual function ) a dome thermometer and calibrate it..you can either get the BGE grid extender or just a weber grid from home depot, I use split firebrick for my indirect cooks 6 of them which you can get from a brick yard or fireplace store, you can just as easily use the BGE plate setter..you will need some lump charcoal and some form of lighter. I use weber fire starter cubes..for my butts I use a V rack and I got mine from linens and things for like $7 not porcelain coated though..some sort of drip pan will be needed..I just use the throw away foil ones..a polder thermometer is a great thing to have but you could maybe get by with just an instant read meat thermometer...oh yeah..a healthy appetite will come in real handy also...
    Hope this helps..[p]Wess

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Turkey,
    For sure you will need a grill gripper, also a good pair of gloves to protect your arms from any flare-ups. I would also recommened a electric starter,only if thats the way you wish to start your egg. Polder temp gauge & Smoke & Spice or Sublime Smoke cook books.Well,now that I have just spent another $100.00 or so of your money, I'll leave.LOL[p]Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Earl,[p]And maybe a can of Cheese Whiz - huh Earl??[p]Tim
  • WessB
    Earl,
    The grill gripper was a great suggestion..I didnt buy one becuase a friend that owns an egg said he almost never uses his...I went back the first week and bought one and I use it costantly..[p]Wess

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Turkey,
    If I might add my $.02 in here.[p]Slide Daisy, Polder, Pizza stone,(don't use an "off" brand, if you want it to serve both as a deflector for indirect and for pizzas. I've already seen 3 P.C. stones break under these circumstances. I'm sure other's will follow suit.)a plate sitter, a rib rack or "V" rack, good gloves and a couple bags of lump. Anything after that, can come later. These are pretty much what I found I needed after getting my 1st Egg and it is what we made sure each of our kids got when I bought them their 1st Eggs.[p]I pretty much listed them in order of importance. I'm sure I forgot something, but this list would sure be a good start![p]BTW, welcome to the "Cult"! You and your wife, close family and close friends are gona love this "little green monster"! It may be habit forming, addictive and a whole lot of other things you never thought of, but you're soon gona learn what "real" eatin' is all about![p]Cheers,[p]Dr. Chicken

• Turkey,[p]I would suggest some of the great cook books for smokers. I have Smoke and Spice which is great as well as the Barbecue Bible which is very informative. What fun to try new recipes!!
  • WessB
    Turkey,
    And with all the respect due to the lady, I`m sure the reality is she just gave in to your wishes and dreams because she loves you...and trust me it took a LONG time to wear mine down as it were..LOL
    Welcome to you and the misses[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Dr. Chicken,
    Howdy sir! Hope life is treatin' you well right about now..[p]Good suggestions. Only thing I can add is the extended grate. Just a second grate with legs on it. I use that more than almost any other accessory. It clips handily to a standard oven broiler pan, or nicely straddles a drip pan, while keeping the meal elevated several inches above the pan to ensure even browning, while utilizing the desireable environment of upper dome cooking. The extended grate rules![p]Best to you and your family.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Turkey, I can only say, your a sly one, and let the rest make the suggestions..I am sure they will all be sound ones.
    C~W

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Tim M,
    To bad I didn't have a can opener that night, what a laugh that would have been. LOL[p]Earl

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks Chris! I hope you showed the Missus a wonderful Mother's Day! My wife enjoyed hers! I didn't cook, so she didn't have to clean anything up! :-)))[p]I knew I'd forget something! Like the extended grate or the grill gripper????? Who knows what else????[p]The family is doing great. With the new "puter", I kin finally get back to seeing what everyone else is doing. That was a very long month!!!![p]Man! I can't believe how many new "faces" we're seeing! That's great! And it proves all of us "oldies" really did have the right idea! :-)))[p]Take care and keep on cookin'![p]Dr. C

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Turkey,
    I'm a newbe also (a large for about 2 months). The necessary essentials are; daisy wheel, ash tool, grill gripper, starter(I use electric), dome thermometer, lump and beer (lots o beer).
    Additional accessories that I have since added are; plate sitter (really great item, especially if you want to switch from indirect to direct during cook), 12" metal pizza pan & roll of aluminum foil to use as drip pan, polder, instant read dial, V-rack and fish pan (great for Mr. Jobb's sausage and peppers & salmon). Yummy Yummy, it's almost time for the tummy.
    Good Luck, you will enjoy!
    B D[p]