Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a portable, picnic grill. Does anyone have any experience with the mini egg unit?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Jack M,[p]Love it for that and more! It is a great little grill.[p]Mine gets a lot of use when just cooking for myself or for quick burgers and dogs for lunch.[p]I recommend getting yourself a milk crate and a paver (stone). With just a minor modification, the mini egg fits in to the crate for tranportation. When its time to grill, the milk crate (with the stone to prevent melting the crate) makes a great stand for the egg.[p]Smokey
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Smokey,
    Amen to that. Plus, here at home I'm gonna fire up the mini this afternoon to roast some beets for dinner.[p]Ken

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Smokey,[p]Those milk crates are perfect for screening charcoal as well. My first pass is thru the milk carton (1 inch+/-) and then a plastic pepsi carrier (24 ct) which is 1/2 inch or less.
  • BOBF
    Jack M,[p]I bought a mini recently for that purpose and I like it. I use it to sear and for a couple of steaks or burgers. Also good for vegatables. Look at the small also. I think it is pretty portable and if not to large or heavy for you gives a bit more room.[p]
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Jack M,
    It's mini but I max it out, later this afternoon I'm setting the mini up for indirect roasting of a 1/3 portion of lamb shoulder. The lamb is marinating in lemon juice, olive oil, pepper, salt and garlic. I'll dust with Red Eye Express to kick it up a notch just before the meat goes on.
    The mini is famous for searing steak, roasting potato, grilling hamburger, pork chop, chicken breast. Easy to move around.
    Just remember...it's mini.

• Smokey
    BOBF,[p]Thatr's a great use! They used to make metal milk crates (and their used to be 5 cent candy bars ... am I just showing my age). I've never been able to find one.[p]Smokey
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    ClayQ, got any pics of your indirect setup? I've been looking into options for both indirect and multilevel setups for mine for quite a while now. I'd like to add whatever you've devised to my choices. So far I've seen everything from a Sandbagger style ring for multilevel:
    Miniraisedgrid1.jpg[p]to a cake pan for a raised grid:
    Miniraisedgrid3-9x115x0125.jpg[p]

• Smokey
    BlueSmoke,[p]Man, the sound great! How do you do the roast beef on the mini?[p]Smokey
  • BOBF
    Smokey,[p]Mine is heavy plastic. Says Property of Borden Inc. Dallas, Texas. 77. I remember 5 cent candy bars. My retirement date is this Friday, so I guess I am getting some age as well.

• BlueSmoke
    Smokey,
    With a teeny tiny little roast, that's how... Naw, when it's roast beef time, the beef goes on the small and the veggies on the mini.[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke
    BOBF,
    Metal pop bottle carriers? Penny candy on a paper strip? Bull Durham and rolling papers? Y'all are still wet behind the ears! <grin>[p]Blue "still fondly remembering 25 cent a gallon gas" Smoke

• BOBF
    Smokey,[p]I think he said "beets". Now, I am curious - how do you prepare roast beets?

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    RJH,
    I'll shoot some pic's and post them after dinner. Right now it's Miller Time. (actually, Smithwicks Ale Time)
    Cheers.

• BOBF,[p]Man, you and Ken make me feel like a young pup! I have a few years before I can retire! [p]Best to you on your retirement!![p]Jealous and "Smokey"

• Smokey
    BOBF,[p]Doh, I knew I was missing something![p]Smokey
    [ul][li]Doh[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BOBF,
    Roasted beets are great! Just cut off the tops and rub them with oil; wrap in foil and place on the grill at 400 for 50 to 60 minutes. (When done you should they should have some resistance when you squeeze the package.) Unwrap and, under running water, slip the skins off by squeezing the beets. Slice and serve.[p]Ken

• BOBF
    BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks, I will give it a try.

• BOBF
    Smoket,[p]Thanks, I think I have the first year covered just doing projects I needed to do years ago. Also, a long trip to Oregon and an Alaskan cruise is scheduled. It isn't easy leaving work though. Worked with a great bunch. May have some consulting on the horizon.