Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever done a leg of lamb before? I am looking to try one this Sunday to get warmed up for Easter. Any hints/recipes? Thanks.

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    I normally butterfly my lamb and marinate for 24 hours before cooking.
    To butterfly ask your butcher to do it for you. If that doesnt work then you need to remove the bone. Start from the inner end and remove the H bone (the flat bone) if there is one. Then run your knife along the leg bone up to the knuckle and loosen all the meat. Continue around the knuckle and on to the tip of the bone. Cut all the meat away from the bone, and you should be left with a large, vaguely flat piece of lamb. You will find 1 or 2 lumps of suet inside the lamb. I normally remove these also. I also remove any obvious pieces of membrane which you can see running through the meat.
    I them marinate the meat overnight. I use three or four cloves of fresh garlic sliced thinly, fresh rosemary and thyme, mint if I have it, and some EVOO. I have also been known to add apple juice, or balsamic vinegar, or any other flavourings which you like with your lamb.
    I cook my lamb direct on 350 degree coals for about 75/90 minutes, for rare to medium rare. The beauty of this preperation is that you have different thicknesses of meat so different degrees of doneness.
    I hope this rambling makes sence. If not shoot me a direct mail and I will try and clarify for you.
    Serve this dish with garlic potatoes, cooked in cream for a beautiful, garlicky, meal. Just be sure whoever you are sleeping with that night also has the garlicky lamb for lunch, or it could be a quiet night.
    Roger

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Larry McSass,[p]Did you check Here
    Did you check Here
    Did you click on the recipes links on the main forum page?
    Do you have Red Eye Express in you spice cabinet? [p]Try this too:[p]Greek Style Spinach and Feta Stuffed Leg of Lamb[p]# 4-5 lb. boneless leg of lamb (morgan valley lamb is fantastic)
    # 6 oz. pkg. spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
    # 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
    # 1 tsp. ground black pepper
    # 1 tsp. kosher salt
    # 2 cloves garlic, minced
    # 1/2 cup feta cheese
    # 1/2 cup chopped onion
    # 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
    # 1/2 cup half and half, milk or cream
    # 2 eggs
    # olive oil
    # kosher salt
    # ground black pepper
    # 2 cups red wine or beef broth[p]Method:[p]Lay the lamb out flat on work surface, skin side down. Ina bowl, combine all ingredients for filling. Mix well. Spread mixture on the lamb evenly. Roll up jelly roll style. Tie with string at 1" intervals. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in 425 degree Egg direct for 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 325 degrees indirect and roast for an additional hour. [p]Test for doneness. Lamb should read 150 degrees on meat thermometer. Remove lamb from pan and deglaze with wine or beef broth. Allow the lamb to rest 10 minutes before slicing and serve with pan drippings.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    601e89c4.jpg
    <p />Larry McSass,
    if making the whole leg i like the marinade that i use for kabobs. i also like the sear done directly on the coals with the leg as it gives it a different character than just searing on the grill, very rustic. i dig a hole in the lump to fit the roast so that when searing i only flip it once. long tongs and long sleeves, gloves. then i rest it while the temps come down and roast it at 325-350 if it has a bone, a little higher if its boneless. i cook them slightly more than rare, they get tough and the sweetness disapears as they get to medium and past. i only marinade lamb for a few hours as i like the flavor and do a search for tebouleh salad as it goes great with lamb.
    100_1281.jpg
    i dont like lamb cooked much over 127, so if i was cooking for a crowd i would chop it up into kabobs and over cook some for guests that like it that way.

[ul][li]lamb kabobs[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]And that magnificent brass grinder is available from ???
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Haggis,
    its a turkish coffee grinder that i use for pepper. dont remember where i ordered it online from.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Larry McSass,
    Olive oil. Rosemary. Garlic. Marinate for 4 hours. Heat grill to 450 and sear each side for a minute. Lower grill to 325 and put baking stone in. Put lamb in vrack and cook for 20 minutes a pound. Medium is best. This considering a boneless, butterflied leg of lamb. I do this at Easter every year. [p]It will be very tasty and that is how you cook when you are cooking with PaPa ShaBBQ.

• MesaManiac
    Options
    Haggis,
    Here's one similar:
    MM

[ul][li]http://fantes.com/turkish_coffeemakers.htm[/ul]
  • fishlessman,
    Do you flip it to sear the other side? How long on each side?