Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Afternoon BBQ

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
02_18_0013_54_04.jpg
<p />Friday afternoons at out house (wife works and I have Friday afternoons off) are reserved for either low & slow baby back ribs (last week) or Chili - today we are doing a new variation of Gfw's Black Bean Chili, still in search of the ultimate recipe. Thanks to Bob, ChefRD and Bama Fire, the quest has been fun and has resulted in some great chili![p]It's a perfect day for chili - the trees in Central IL are bent over or cracked from the weight of the ice and the rain/sleet is still falling.[p]
Anything else cooking this afternoon?[p][p]

Comments

• Gfw,
    What modifications did you make? Keep us posted -- that chili sure does look good![p]B~F

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    Just picked up a little over 2 pounds of fresh squiddly diddly!! We have only done squid twice before, and both times it was heavenly. Heavenly Squid. Sounds like a new punk rock group.[p]Anyway, they get seared at 700 plus for a minute a side, then get brushed with a hoisin/ketchup based sauce for another minute. Sliced into purty little rings, and chow down.[p]Chili looks great. Do you use smoked meat in it??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    That squid sounds yummy!![p]I should be searing a nice T-bone that been marinating for two days in olive oil, fresh cracked pepper and fresh crushed garlic tonight weather permitting. Chance of rain: 80% + thunderstorms. Also, I'll have some roasted squash, peppers, zucchini and onion. I hope the weather holds out for a few more hours![p]B~F

• Gfw
    Bama Fire, a little less black/white/cayenne pepper - took your advice and increased the bell pepper - I only had red so I put 1 in all chopped up - I am going to be checking the moisture every hour like you did. But unlike you, I plan on using beer rather than water. Life is Good and Fridays are fun!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBC Revisions[/ul]
  • Gfw,
    Adding beer sounds like a great idea. By the time I got around to simmering on the EGG, I was more concerned with consuming the beer rather than feeding it to the chili.[p]Hope everything tastes great![p]B~F

• Gfw
    Nature Boy, 2lbs squid could replace the 2lbs of sirloin in the chili - NAW... somehow it doesn't seem right to call it Black Bean 'Squid' Chili. Have fun.

• Gfw,
    I'm honored to have an email posted on your web sight -- typo and all! :-D Guess the chili just got me excited! I still have a serving in the freezer -- it should be wonderful some rainy afternoon.[p]B~F

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nature Boy,
    Searing the squid at 700 degrees,does that help it stay on the fish hook.
    YB

• Nature Boy
    Bama Fire,
    The squid is far better than I could ever imagine those little critters could be.[p]The steak sounds sweet. Sometime try cutting up those very veggies you describe (Squash, peppers, zucchini and onion), and sticking them in a grill-topper wok (with holes). Pour over a mixture of oil, pepper, wine, soy sauce or whatever you like, and cook it over a hot fire, stirring every 4 or 5 minutes. The slightly smoked veggies go super nice with a steak.[p]Makin myself hungry!
    Have a great Friday night feast.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Gfw,[p]I plan on doing some Calzone's on the green monster this evening. Unlike you Gfw, we who live in the southern part of IL are getting pretty heavy rain. I talked to my sister in Chicago this afternoon and she got about 6 inches of snow where she lived. Overall, the weather in IL really stunk up the place. [p]Anyway, I went out this afternoon during lunch and got the stuff for some Calzones, I'll make the dough when I get home, plan on cooking them about 6:30. They are awesome in the oven, first time to try them on the BGE though. Wish me luck, first time and actually have no other plans for dinner if they dont work. UGHHH. Guess theres always Pizza Hut - shudder shudder shudder...[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Gfw,
    Yeah. Somehow I don't think squid and chili would hit it big. However they do say that squid is only tender 2 ways. Super hot and fast, or very long and slow in a soup or stew. There probably is a great stew you could come up with.[p]Man, I was at the Korean market today, and they had these squid that were about a pound or more each! About 18 inches long including the tenticles. The ones I like (they had those too) have about 4-6 inch bodies on them. [p]I heard the small ones are more tender, although the huge ones might be easier to handle on the grill. I should have bought one to try. [p]Add it to my list!
    Enjoy the chili.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    YB,
    See what you started Bob! [p]Yeah, Larry, actually the fish hook makes a nice little grabbing tool. Sort of like a toothpick. You just have to be a little careful when you eat. If the fish hook does get stuck in your cheek, or lip, don't try pulling it straight back out. The barb will catch, and you will be yanking good flesh out. Instead, you need to push the hook through the other side of your cheek, and pull the whole hook through.[p]Cheers
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Wow. I really want to try a calzone some time. Once in a while the subject is brought up here, but I don't remember hearing of anyone doing this.[p]Hope it goes well. It should if you have already done them in the oven. Maybe, if you have time, you could post or email me the recipe! [p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    sprinter, we are now getting snow on top of the ice - for most people it will be a fun comute home - on these days I think of moving south (but much further than So. IL) - I definately wish you luck - I havn't done Pizza Hut since I did my first BGE pizza. Lots of GOOD Luck!

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Gfw,
    Pizza here in San Antone. I hate to hear the weather is so miserable elsewhere. It's down right summer-like here.
    dan_c

[ul][li]down right purty[/ul]
  • Gfw
    dan_c, gee thanks. San Antonio is a bit south of Peoria. We could meet somewhere in the middle for pizza, chili and a beer!

[ul][li]Peoria Weather[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    OOOHHHHH! I can’t believe I missed this thread. [p]<Insert Bait Joke Here>[p]Actually, I had some perfectly made Calamari for lunch today.[p]Chris, check out the current issue of Chile Pepper. Awesome Asian recipes.[p]Happy fishing,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Gfw,
    Pulled pork in Arkansas sounds good...

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks. I'll pop into Borders and see if they have it.
    Enjoy your weekend!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    dan_c, my daughter lives in TN just north of Memphis - that could be 1/2 way - pulled pork, pizza, chili and beer.

• sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Let me give it a try and I'll let you know how it turns out. They are always great in the oven, I've made them several times. I love the crust on them, makes great pizza crust too (in fact it is just a pizza crust recipe). If it turns out well, I'll gladly post the recipe to all who are interested. I'm more interested (worried) to see how the crust turns out in the BGE, I'm not sure how it will react to the moisture that remains in the egg. I plan to put a little bit of olive oil on the crust before I bake it just to make the crust nice and brown, then maybe a bit after it comes out. We'll see.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Gfw,[p]Feel free to stop by Mt. Vernon for a snack, the BGE will be fired up this weekend doing something I'm sure. If not I have some leftover PP that was jut taken out of the freezer this morning to make sandwiches for the weekend. I also have plans to make a batch of homebrew this weekend, a Red Lager that I'm somewhat fond of. Brewin' and Eggin' - doesn't get much better than that for a weekend. Now if the weather will only cooperate a bit.[p]Troy
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Nature Boy,
    O.K. Break me in here. What do you serve with squid. Now I'm doing this with a straight face. Do you cook it and then make a Pasta? Never had it. Sounds interesting.[p]MAC

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Nature Boy,
    Come ON! Give it UP! Tell us how to fix them from front to back. [p]MAC

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Gfw,
    Been wanting some baby backs all week, so I had to tell the wife to put her nacho low light out for a day or two.[p]I'm trying out a new rub on the ribs tonight and will try to get it right in time for EggFest. Maybe it'll be good enough to come within sight of Cat's.
    JimW

• JimW
    BTW, it's 70 outside and couldn't be a finer spring day. I'll put some frozen water in some Canadian and drink a toast to all you guys in the Arctic.
    JimW

• Gfw
    JimW, I like about 45 of your 70 degrees - I just looked outside and the ice covered tree limbs were swinging in the wind. Post your rub and don't forget to vote tomorrow if you are a Republican (or from what I hear Democrat) - Good luck on the ribs

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    I think it will work well. The moisture is probably not much of an issue at 500 plus degrees. I have a feeling you will be pleasantly suprised.[p]Good luck.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    MAC,
    We eat it with rice, and an asian slaw. Tonight it was Napa Cabbage with some rice vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper.[p]Here is a link to the recipe I posted on SongDog's forum.
    We ate all 2 pounds. [p]I will cook this at the eggfest, and though some may shy away and miss the opportunity, I think several folks will try it![p]Lots of great nutrients, tender, tasty. [p]I hope you get to try it soon. [p]NB

[ul][li]Squid Recipe[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JimW
    Gfw,
    Yeah, the Democrats are trying to screw everything up.