Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often should the BGE be cleaned?

Options
Pig Picker
Pig Picker Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my medium BGE for a little over 8 months now and have never taken it apart to do any kind of cleaning. I cook on it once or twice every weekend. What is the recommended cleaning schedule for a good all out cleaning? Any method that works best? What is best to clean it with? [p]Besides being careful not to drop anything should I take any other precautions?[p]thanx
PP

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Pig Picker,
    There are two necessary ways to clean your egg. First, fire it up to about a bazillion degrees and cook some steaks. When you take the steaks off, leave Mr Egg rocking for another ten minutes before closing it down. [p]The next method should only be attempted with a cold egg… place the hose from your shop-vac in the bottom vent and you clean out all of the ashes with the flick of the switch. Usually, I just carefully remove the innards and push the ashes out the bottom vent with my hands.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk
    [p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Pig Picker,
    Like R&J, I use the high temp self cleaning method every so often. My large egg is 2 years old, and that is the only cleaning I have done. [p]Cheers! Beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Pig Picker,[p]You'll get a lot of different opinions on this one as some folks feel that cleaning is totally unnecessary. I do mine twice a year. To transport Humpty from his winter home in the garage to the summer spot on the deck, I break it all down and move it in pieces. While disassembled, I scrub the inside surfaces and parts with a dry (no liquids of any kind) stiff bristled brush to knock off the loose residue. The intent here is not to remove the seasoning. After that, I'll shop-vac it out and reassemble. To clean the outside glaze, just use windex, formula 409, simple green, etc and an old toothbrush.[p]K~G
    a clean Egg is a happy Egg.

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    KennyG,
    A HOT Egg is a Happy Egg! (haha)[p]Has baby egg made his debut yet?
    R&J[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]All I've had time for so far on the mini was a coil of hot italian sausage. Worked like a champ as I knew it would. I've got to build some kind of stand or mini table to put the little guy on. YB has done this and I'll have to contact him about his design.[p]BTW, I haven't forgot about the Tequila, just been real busy. [p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    KennyG,
    Same here. It will happen when it happens.
    R&J[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]It won't happen if I drink it hehehehe[p]Go Tribe!

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Pig Picker,
    Other than just raking out the ashes each cook, I take the garden hose and wash it out real good every once upon occasion.
    Mark