Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

igniters

Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,[p]I haven't got my EGG yet, but I'm planning the intial bundle package from the dealer. So I need to know what you prefer to use to ignite your charcoal? And why?[p]Thanks a million,[p]Steve

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Steve,
    I use a propane torch or starter cubes. Weber makes some but there are other brands. Should be able to get them at most barbecue places or wherever barbecue supplies are sold.
    Hope that helps.
    New Bob

• Steve, Weber starter cubes run $2 for 24 and can't be beat. Last fall I bought a case of 12 boxes to make sure I wouldn't be at the mercey of many retail outlets that think BBQ only runs from Memeorial Day to Labor Day!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    firecube.jpg
    <p />Steve,[p]I prefer these when doing grilling fire because I simply toss one in under the grate and lite with a long nosed butane lighter. It works under a ceramic grate too but better under a cast iron one (trivet). For low & slow fires I add some of the pressed wood/wax ones. These work for that as well but are more $$$ so I just use those other ones since I have them.[p]Tim
  • Steve,[p]I use an electric starter. I stick it into the lump and plug it in. It's ready to be removed in about ten minutes. Then, with the vetn open and the cap off, I let it get to temp.[p]Bill
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Steve, I use an electric starter. It's simple, fast and overall cheap. Look around and you can pick one up for $10. However, I still keep a few of the Weber firestarters around because we lose power every now and then and I might just want to cook on my egg at those times.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Steve,
    Starterlogg brand fire starting bricks from Home
    Depot. They come in bricks appoximately 10 inches x 2.5
    inches. They are very cheap. I wack a chunk off with
    a sheetrock knife and start from below the trivet.
    They are also good for starting big fires like woodpiles
    where you just light the whole brick.[p]Chuck

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Steve,
    I use the BGE electric starter, it's bent just right to fit into the bottom of the Egg. Takes about 10 mins., then pull it and let her rip.
    B D

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Steve,
    I mostly use an electric starter but I keep some starter cubes on hand in case the thing dies or the power is off. Incidentally, the life expectancy of the eletric starters I have gotten is only 6 to 8 months so I keep a spare on hand just in case.
    JimW