Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt...what now!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time this has happened, but I put on a 7.5 pound picnic last night. Went through the night beautifully, but when I stuck the polder in this morning, it was aready at 190! I am taking this to the kid's soccer practice at 6:00 tonight.....10 hours from now....yet the dang thing is nearly done now.[p]Any suggestions on what to do? Bring cooker temp down to 200, and let it sit? Maybe I can hold it back until 2, then wrap to a cooler? Pull it off, refrigerate? [p]Thanks for any ideas![p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy:[p]Let it "rest" and then pull and refrigerate it when ready. If you let it stay in the cooker too long it is gonna dry out. If you are using it later today you can always reheat. Sounds like a good breakfast this morning as well!
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p] Mornin Chris:[p] My guess, is you have aprox 1hr or so till you hit the 200, I think I would cool it down as soon as possible & re-heat sometime this afternoon. I don't do to many PP, but I would would think you had a turbo one for sure. Good Luck.[p]Earl
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Earl/Darryl! Yeah, this 7.5 pounder looks like it will end up finishing in 12-13 hours total. Definitely my quickest one so far. Dome temp was around 260 when I went to bed. 260 when I got up. Looks like I will be pulling it for brunch!
    Great tuesday to yall.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    One option to think about is keeping the piping hot, melt in your mouth, ready to eat pulled pork for yourself and go to the store this afternoon and buy some store bought BBQ for the soccer practice.[p]Steve

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Pug,
    hehehe. I was already talking my Q up with one of the soccer dads. He works for a catering company, so I better give him the real thang![p]I have a feeling there will be plenty of leftovers. And my mouth is already watering for lunch!
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Same thing happen to me a few days ago. 7.5 lb butt finished in 12 hrs. I have to admit I let the temp reach 300 for a couple of hours. It was very good even if it cooked too fast.