Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-Freeze Pulled Pork Before Vacuum Sealing?

Options
Jonnio
Jonnio Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a couple pork butts cooking right now that I am going to need to freeze tonight. I have read to add in a little carolina sauce, coke, or apple juice and vacuum seal them, so I was wondering do you pre-freeze so that the juices don't get sucked in?

Comments

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Jonnio,[p]Yes, freeze it first

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Jonnio,
    i put one or 2 tablespoons in the bottom of the bag then put the pork in on top. pull the vacuum and when the moisture gets near the top seal it. i use a 50/50 mixture of coke and low sodium chicken broth.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i freeze after vacuum packing it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Jonnio,[p]You can go that route OR just freeze your liquid(s) in a shallow metal pan, I use a pizza pan. Flex the pan to crack the flavor-ice and layer it in with the pork, brisket or whatever and seal away. This works with gravy added to meatloaf or roast beef too.[p]When I seal other things that I want moisture in, like rice or pasta, I just crush a couple of ice cubes and put them in the vacuum bag.[p]Heloise ... uh, I mean ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Jonnio,[p]I pull the pork and immediately bag it, but I don't seal it. I put them in the fridge till the juices coagulate. Then I seal it and freeze it. I don't add anything to it.[p]Next time I go to use it, the pork is just as I when I bagged it. Fresh off the bone.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jonnio,[p] Being from the Carolinas where the state crop is HOG I am always freezing some kind of pork. I always sauce my pork just enough to coat it. Like Grillmeister it goes in the refrigerator to cool off. Then they are sealed and put in the freezer for those days I an just too lazy to fire up the egg.[p]
  • Jonnio
    Jonnio Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the sugestions - since I didn't have time to pre freeze my addons I chilled/half froze the pork and sealed it up. Worked like a charm. I will let you know in a few weeks how it tastes :)[p]Its amazing though. You cook 16lbs of pork butt then by the time you do dinner, pork for friends, and pork for the cook while pulling....There really isn't that much left to freeze.