Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourdough adventures

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_3689.jpg
<p />With my latest book 'The Bread Baker's Apprentice' by Reinhart I'm giving some new breads a try. I have been working with a basic rustic, (the above pic), and now I'm branching out with focaccia. The egg is working out well with a new pizza stone setup so I'll leave that alone for now.

IMG_3702.jpg
B

Rineharts recipe is more European than American style being loaded with herbs, olive oil and baked flatter like a thick crust pizza. He has a section on toppings for his focaccia, just like baking a pizza. So I went with his style, sans toppings, used my natural leavening in place of commercial yeast and folded in the herbs as I kneaded the dough.

IMG_3696.jpg

This bread was excellent and now I'd like to branch again with a sourdough focaccia inspired pizza dough, oh yeeeeaaaaa.

IMG_3707.jpg

I enjoyed the fresh herbs and virgin olive oil infused within the sourdough and I hope to have a new pizza dough to report on sometime soon.
Clay

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    ClayQ,
    so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]That first shot is some beautiful looking bread. Being a novice at bread making, your splendid shots are inspiring.
    I never suspected that when I bought the Egg for ribs that I'd end up looking to make bread.[p]gdenby

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]You will like the SD pizza dough. I use it most of the time, just depends on whom I am cooking for. [p]I think it is much easier to control the pizza do with natural yeast. If you are in a hurry you can always add a little ADY to the dough along with the starter...[p]It really depends on how sour you want your dough.[p]I have a starter that will make your mouth pucker!
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I hope to someday bake a loaf of bread that looks that good. Keep posting pictures so I can keep the goal in mind.

• Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Glad you got the book and are liking it. I started my own sourdough from the book. Also if you had walnuts to some of the bread they turn purple! Peter was one of the best guest chef I have ever gotten to work with at the hotel. Great pics to!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Great work as usual, Clay. Your bread-making is really impressive and your photos are of equally high quality. I hope one day to turn out some bread stuffs on the Egg that look that good.[p]Cheers,[p]TREx
  • AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Great baking. I like his book. I have had it for quite awhile along with some of his other ones. Keep up the good bakes and pics. AZ