Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Surreptitious Dinner: Cedar-Planked Salmon

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
3-25-07salmon1-resized.jpg
<p />I used Ms. Mini tonight to smoke a small salmon filet and man did it come out great. I used one of those cedar planks - they really add a nice, mild smoke and protect the filet from the direct heat.[p]If you haven't tried this combination, please do - you won't be sorry. First I rubbed with olive oil both the cedar plank and the bottom (skin side) of the salmon filet. Next, I squeezed a whole lemon over the filet. Then, I add a THIN coat of dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon). On top of that sprinkle a 1:1 mixture of Dizzy Shakin' the Tree and Turbinado sugar (this mixture is my new favorite for just about everything - I think it would probably even be good on Spawn's brownies).[p]Now, put the cedar plank on the Egg about 5 minuntes before adding the filet. Oh, the Egg should be sitting somewhere between 350 and 375 and burning cleanly. After 3-5 minutes add the filet and "bake" between 350 and 375 for roughly half an hour, or until the thickest part of the filet registers around 135 on your Thermapen.[p]Finish with a spritz of fresh lemon juice.[p]I'm telling you, this filet was awesome.[p]For those photography buffs out there, I have to apologize for the small depth of field on this shot - I had my aperture at f2.0 and forgot to stop down before taking this picture, thus only a very small portion of the photo is in perfect focus. But, I suppose it adds a bit of artistic blah-blah-blah to the photo.[p]Cheers![p]TRex

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    TRex,
    Many food photographs use a shallow depth of field. Pat yourself on the back for an artistic effort, lol![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • TRex
    THe Naked Whiz,[p]Yes, I know I know, but if shooting one piece of food I think they would typically have the whole thing in focus - I think it's when they have several items on the table and they only want to draw your attention to what's on the plate or the food item in front of the frame or one of many of the same kind of food items - but hey, thanks! I'll take the credit - lol![p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    TRex,[p]I did the same thing with my pics of the beef wellington. I ended up posting the pic that Brent took with his camera instead of this one that I took. Lesson learned: look at your settings before taking a picture (forehead slap) lol[p]DSC_0206.jpg
  • TRex
    AlaskanC,[p]Yeah, you'd think I'd remember by now, but when I get in a hurry and start snappin' I so often forget just one setting and it ticks me off so much when I realize it (like in this case, after the food had been consumed).[p]Havin' fun with your D80?[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    TRex,[p]I am having lots of fun with it - but I definitely have lots to learn!
    We caught a couple of cool pics yesterday - the Sitka Sound sac roe herring fishery is getting ready to happen and we saw this seiner doing a test set. We managed to get Mt. Edgecumbe, the seiner, an eagle and a whale in the same shot! lol
    I will be taking more pictures when the opening happens (probably tomorrow). It is one of the most insane things you've ever seen![p]boat3.jpg

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    heya TRex,[p]Oh, I'm so jealous. That looks great. Maybe my fish was too mild for cedar. My cedar planked fish came out too strong. However, it looked fantastic.[p] Lessons learned:[p]Never soak plank in utility mop sink :P[p]Make sure not to burn plank :P
  • TRex
    bbqdiva,[p]You know, you don't have to soak those planks at all. Just rub down the cooking side with some olive oil. I never soak any kind of wood - planks, chunks, chips, whatever.[p]What kind of fish were you cooking and at what temp? I cooked mine around 350ish and the plank survived without burning. [p]Better luck next time! I'm sure you'll have success! :-)[p]TRex
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    AlaskanC,
    Wow, that is a beautifull shot. I think you've got the hang of it. Keep em comming.