Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks to Elder Ward

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just completed my first low and slow ever and my second cook on my BGE. I followed Elder Ward's rub, sauce and cooking instructions for Pulled Pork which are on TNW site. The results were just fantastic! My 8.5 pound Boston Butt rang the 200 degree bell in 17 hours. Fork tender and spicy just like I like it! It was also my first use of a remote thermometer, which leads to a question:[p]Why doesn't the egg temperature (heat) conduct down the metal probe to the thermocouple buried in the meat? It seems like a higher egg temp would lead to a higher measured internal temperature than a lower egg temp would.[p]Anyway, I've used enough of your time, but I just had share my terrific first smoke![p]-cW

Comments

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm certain some heat does conduct down the probe, but I believe it is not significant for two reasons:[p]1. The probe is a thin wall of stainless steel. Stainless steel is a relatively poor conductor of heat, compared to aluminum or copper. And the thin wall limits heat transfer also along the length of the probe, while facilitating heat transfer from outside to inside of the probe.[p]2. The probe is surrounded by meat that will absorb whatever heat does conduct down the length of the probe, before that heat reaches the thermocouple.[p]2.
  • Shoe,[p]I see. So the larger surface area exposed to the meat conducts the heat away faster than the narrow cross-section of the probe allows the heat to travel deep into the meat. Makes perfect sense! Thanks[p]-cW
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    cityWok,
    Congratulations of the success of your first lo & slo! I swear by the Elder Ward method; I've never had a bad result on an overnighter using his method.
    Hammer

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    Dare I say it... EGGzactly!