Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Golden Tile Fish Results

bbqdiva
bbqdiva Posts: 192
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all![p]Thanks to all for the advice on this cook. QBabe, your cooking technique was right on. The fish was moist & flakey and the presentation was gorgeous. [p]Unfortunately, and I think someone warned me, the cedar plank was very strong. It's the only plank I had, so I used it. For me, it just about ruined the fish...my hubby thought it was O.K., but he would never insult my cooking. I've seen him eat some pretty nasty dishes over the years, lol. Bless his heart. [p]I smoked some sweet potatoes prior to cooking the fish. They were fantastic as usual.[p]IMHO, this meal would has been out of this world, minus the cedar plank. [p]Now I think I'll just go stand in my closet........I've always wanted a cedar closet :P[p]
Thanks again![p]Here are the pics:

[ul][li]http://picasaweb.google.com/thetishernator/GoldeTileCook/photo#s5045950789943008962[/ul]

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    bbqdiva,[p] Go get some Alder. It is much better on milder fish. Save the cedar for Salmon.[p] How long did you soak that plank. It looked kind of dry?[p]
  • bbqdiva
    Heya Celtic Wolf,[p]24 hours.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    bbqdiva,[p] Well dang!!! That might have been part of the problem. They only need to be soaked for an hour or so. The plank still looked kind of dry though..[p] Alder would be best for that fish. Looked really good :)[p]
  • bbqdiva
    Heya Celtic Wolf,[p]Yeah, I was going to cook it last night, then fell asleep :P So I forgot the plank was in the sink, lol. Maybe it was too wet? I don't know. I just know there are cedar chips in my guniea pig's litter...and that's all I could think about when I was eating the fish..argh![p]Other than that, the fish was beautiful...and underneath the cedar, I could tell it would have been delicious.[p]I'll try Alder next time. Can you recommend somewhere to buy it?[p]Thanks,[p]Tish
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    bbqdiva,
    Just google "alder planks" and you'll find some places. How long did you put the plank on the fire before you added the fish?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    bbqdiva, I don't care for cedar except to line my closet and shingle the roof. [p]Alder is good but I really like the maple planks. More dense than alder holds up well to flames and heat.[p]Aloha,[p]greg
  • bbqdiva
    Heya Naked Whiz,[p]Well, I put it on, and waited until it started putting off a light smoke. I can't tell you the actual time frame, not long however.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    bbqdiva,
    Well, you might try putting the fish on the planks and the planks straight on the fire, to reduce some of the flavor/smoke? I found that fish on a plank turned out better than fish on a metal pan, so maybe eliminating the step where you let the board start to smoke might help?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    bbqdiva,[p]Sorry to hear about the strong cedar flavor and the pine sol problem, but it sounds like it came out ok otherwise. It sure looked beautiful.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• bbqdiva
    Hey QBabe,[p]Oh, it was gorgeous looking. Your cooking technique was right on! I think I shouldn't have soaked the planks overnight in my utility sink...argh :P[p]Tish