Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Cooking Fish Please

Options
bbqdiva
bbqdiva Posts: 192
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K. Eggers....I've been avoiding two huge gorgeous golden tile fillets (a friend fishes but wife won't cook fish, lucky me) in my fridge for two days now, because I don't want to "mess' em up".[p]I've decided I want to stuff them with a crab,spinach, ricotta cheese, herb stuffing. I'll lay one fillet on a plank, then the other on top and stuff them. I've never used a plank before. This is a huge fish, each fillet is around 17-18 inches long with thicknesses of almost an inch. I'm going to baste it the Almondine Butter :-)[p]Question: How or if to use plank, how long to cook, what temp?[p]Thanks again for expanding my knowledge base x-D[p]Tish

Comments

• bbqdiva
    Options
    heya Jupiter Jim,[p]Did you cook that directly on the grate & did you use any wood chips?[p]Thanks ;-)

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]Get your grill into the 400 - 500 range. You want it hot in there and the plank will protect the fish. [p]You won't need any additional wood, as your plank will BE your smoke flavor. Alder plands are great with most fish, cedar is great with salmon. Don't have any idea what a tile fish is, though, so can't make any suggestions on the wood suggestion there. Lay the fish on the plank, do whatever you intend to do for prep of the fish. Your fish will take maybe 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the thickness, how hot the grill is, etc. Use Jupiter Jim's finger test as a guide. [p]I'd be careful with the ricotta. If you don't have a way to open and close a pocket to stuff it in, the cheese will all melt out on you if it's just sandwiched together. I think you'd do better with the crab, spinich and herb stuffing and making a cheesy sauce to serve with, but just my 2 cents.[p]Planked fish is great. It will likely burn the heck out of the bottom of the plank, but it gives an awesome flavor to the fish and it makes a wonderful presentation when you pull that fish off the cooker and take it right in and serve directly off the plank. If you decide to go with the sauce, spoon a little bit on the top and sprinkle with some fresh herbs just as you serve it. Put the rest of the sauce in a bowl for the guests to use as they wish. [p]Maybe I'll have to get some fish today! Now I'm hungry for it![p]We missed you in Ocala last weekend. Was hoping to meet you.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• bbqdiva
    Options
    Heya QBabe,[p]Thanks Tonia, printing this as we speak. I'll take your suggestion and make a creamy ricotta cheese sauce on the side. The plank I have is cedar. I have been told that golden tile is akin to grouper, similar in look, texture and taste, if that helps.[p]I hated I couldn't make it to Ocala myself. I had company from North Carolina that weekend. :-( Well, I'll mark that weekend off for next year for sure.[p]I'll take pictures of this cook. This is my first large fish and plank adventure :P !
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]Tile Fish[p]Even has a recipe :) Cedar might be a little much for it if they are right about it tasting like Scallops and Lobster.[p]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]where have you been lately? We've missed your participation here girl.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]I would also soak the plank for a couple hours before you put the fish on it.