Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Potato "Chips"

Flashback BobFlashback Bob Posts: 518
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I keep experimenting with potato and sweet potato slices on the Egg, but I keep burning them.[p]How should I be doing this?

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Flashback Bob, take them off sooner?[p]Seriously, the thing I have found is to place a grill on top of the platesetter (with feet up) and that seems to keep the flames from scorching them but gives them heat all round. On the XL I have created a smaller fire on one side of the grate and then placed the potato slices on the other side.

• bbqdivabbqdiva Posts: 192
    Heya Flashback Bob,[p]Hum, ok...I've never done this myself. But I was thinking maybe you could do your set-up as if you were going to do a pizza. I use a place-setter on top of the grid, with a pizza stone on top. Then, you could put the veggie slices on the stone, brush them with some seasoned EVOO and sprinkle with some Dizzy dust. This would remove them from the direct heat of the grid and slow the cooking time down, while the stone would produce crispy chips.[p]Just an idea-er[p]Tish

• JonnioJonnio Posts: 26
    I do mine as foil packs - slice them up and season with some rub then take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, place a patty or 2 of butter in the bottom, a little worcestershire, maybe some soy sauce, and throw the tatoes in. Bring the front to back up together and roll them down then roll the sides up to make as airtite of a pouch as you can.[p]Best when camping as you just toss the pouch on the fire (the butter in the bottom becomes your heat shield) but they work on eggs too.
  • Flashback Bob,[p]I do what I call slab potatoes indirect and can get them as crispy as I want. This is my setup and I cook them at about 325-350 degrees.[p]23MVC-003E.jpg[p]This is the results.[p]MVC-005E.jpg[p]Dave

• Flashback Bob,[p]I love making potato chips on the egg! I started when I tried "being healthier" and tried avoiding fried foods as much as possible. Actually I made some Raging/Express Potato Wedges and will post pics soon as they were great too![p]I sliced some Yukon Golds thinly and put in a bowl and mixed with EVOO, coarse salt, black pepper and Dizzy's Red Eye Express and/or Raging River.[p]I place on an oiled veggie pan on grid extender at 300-325 and watch and flip. I haven't used my plate setter as I'm too lazy I guess.
    BGE002.jpg[p]They will burn if you don't watch them or if you slice too thin. Also, make sure you oil your pan or they will stick.[p]YUMMY EGGED POTATO CHIPS!!
    BGE003.jpg[p]Enjoy,[p]Joey[p]P.S. This is so much fun!