Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning BGE's Raised Grid?

Options
Morro Bay Rich
Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried cleaning their raised grid in a self-cleaning oven?[p]My concern is that since self-cleaning ovens run at 880 degrees the heat might break the welds.[p]It seems that no matter how much washing one does, there is always black soot on the parts that one can't get to or is just too lazy to get to. This even is after running it through the diswasher.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]It will discolor the metal for sure.[p]Most self cleaning ovens even recomend not cleaning with the oven racks in![p]You might spray with a degreaser or better yet, oven cleaner...and then pressure steam it with a steamer[p]Just a thought.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Morro Bay Rich, I soak mine in warm soapy water and everything brushes loose after a half hour or so. Maybe next time I'll try dishwasher. Ya know, clean up ain't neva easy.[p]
    Ern

• JayB
    JayB Posts: 14
    Options
    ern,[p]I use your method for both the grill extender and the grill. I have not tried the dishwasher method yet. Part of the "key" is to keep the grills clean in the first place. A quick "wipe down" with an oiled towel (use tongs!) on the preheated grill prior to use also helps. Jay

• Morro Bay Rich,
    you may want to try Dawn power dissolver... let it set for 30 minutes and then just wipe clean with water. or put it in your diswasher.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    IMG_00491.jpg
    <p />hiloboy,
    I'll second the Dawn recommendation. That stuff is dynamite on crud! PS to keep the Mrs. out of your hair buy yourself a cheap replacement garbage can lid for a shallow cleaning tray instead of scratching up the kitchen sink.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.