Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Cook

Options
Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone post the exact details of cooking a Pork Butt?
I would like to know the works.How much lump? Do I try and save up large peaces of lump to use for the cook? How high do I fill the fire box?(I have a Large Egg)How far apart are the upper and lower grills?
And any other info you can think of...[p]Thanks Sparky

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Sparky,
    There are numerous recipes you can refer to on this website.
    Especially detailed, and humorous to read, is Elder Ward's
    "North Carolina Style Pulled Pork" which not only tells you how to prep your fire/fuel, but has a great recipe for the rub prior to cooking, and two great N.Carolina regional sauces (you need to make both!), for finishing and at the table. It's not the only one that will serve you well that you'll find under the Recipes section, but it will give you all the details you need to do your first (like I did).
    Re: your lump....fill your firebox as high as possible, you can go above the line separating firebox and fire-ring above, as you'll need it for a continuous 18-20 hour cook. Also check the visitor profiles on the site, and click on TimM's and GFW's websites for some great info as well. You'll find it all here, already in print--in addition to the gang responding to your questions, daily. Good luck!

• fontzmark
    fontzmark Posts: 28
    Options
    Sparky,
    I am on my first pork butt on the egg also, put it on 4 hours ago and so far so good, temp got over 300 for a bit but brought it down and all is well again. I used the recipie for rub in the North Carolina recipie, with 2 parts cherry to one part hickory and apple woods. Looking forward to some pulled pork tomorrow night, any Blues hockey fans out there??? or Avs for that matter!?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Sparky,[p]Here is the link to Elder's excellent description of how to make a pulled pork dinner. All of the basics and some extras.[p]I don't go into the detail in separating the lump.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Elder Ward's NC Style Pulled Pork[/ul]