Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chop Question

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to do half a dozen, 1 inch thick, bone in, center loin chops, with huge hunk of tenderloin on them. Do I do them the same as steak, with 600 degree sear on both sides for two minutes each side, then shutting down egg and letting them reach eating temp via temperature probe ? Or should I do them indirect or something else ? First time with chops on the egg, could use some info on temp, direct or indirect and even what temp to pull them and let them rest at . Thanks, Roger

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    RibChopcook4.jpg
    <p />City Slicker,
    I grill mine at about 450/500 direct to an internal temp of 145/150. I use Paul Proudhome pork rub and garlic salt. Good luck, Tom

• City Slicker
    Options
    BajaTom,
    Thanks Tom, are you searing them both sides then, or just flipping once ?

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    City Slicker,
    I would do them direct on medium high heat 5-7 min a side or till temp is 145 in the chop.

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    City Slicker,[p]T-Rex them, similar as you described. I sear for 30 seconds per 1/2 inch on my steaks and chops PER SIDE. Let rest under foil for about 15 minutes while your dome temp cools down to around 400 or 375. REMEMBER to only use a probe at low temps of 400 or below to avoid destroying your probe!
    Re-apply more Dizzy Pig rub (I assume you use DP) and finish til about 141-145, no more and rest under foil for five or so minutes. The internal temp will increase around 5 degrees or so.[p]Should be very juicy with a slight char! Man I want some chops now and it's Frieday and I'm off to buy some fresh fish. Chops will be on my egg this weekend, thanks for the idea.[p]Joey

• SouthOfI10
    SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
    Options
    DSC00613edit.jpg
    <p />City Slicker,
    I really like pork chops direct on the regular grid, 450F or so, turn every 6-8mins until 145F internal. These had a simple rub of Shaking The Tree. Great stuff.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    PorkChops.jpg
    <p />City Slicker,
    I turn a couple times during the cook. After the chops get a good crust on both sides I move them to a cooler part of the grill. Good luck, Tom

• City Slicker
    Options
    City Slicker,[p]Thanks for all the imput, I kinda screwed up. Did a dozen ABT's first, then pulled the setup out of the egg and left the egg banked at 400 degrees. When I tossed the chops on, the dome temp was creeing to 450, but I guess the lump had died down a bit, so I did not get any kind of sear at all, did both sides at 450 and I have done better on my old gas grill. Next time I will try the T-Rex method. Good tip on the use of the probe, I never knew that, never read the darn instructions lol.