Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fattie Glue

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher makes awesome sausages. I asked him if he would make up some fatties for next week, when he next makes the sausage.(ok I am lazy) We got to wondering, what stops the fatties from falling apart once they are on the grill and cooking, since there is no casing to hold them together ?

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    City Slicker, that's why they call them fatties. Couldn't help it a city slicker that is living in the south. LOL

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I don't know what you call it, but at one of the eggfests they were giving out a silicone pad with holes in it that works great. You just roll it around the fattie and I put a toothpick in it to keep it closed. Maybe someone will jump in and tell you where you can get one. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    City Slicker,
    Same stuff what keeps hamburgers together I reckon :P

• City Slicker
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    He he, ok I guess that makes sense. I guess I should of thought more before I chose that handle lol. SO I did pick up a dozen sausages today and am going to attempt my first fattie some time this weekend, will post pics if they blow up lol.

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    City Slicker, seriously have had better luck with the Jimmie Dean/ Tennsesee Pride stuff then the good stuff you get from a really good butcher. I actually have to add some water to get a little juice action on the bulk that I get at the butcher's. Might want to roll it out add some good fattie stuff like cheese and reroll.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    City Slicker,
    i take mine out of the casings so maybe the sausage meat is already pretty compact. ive seen were some wrap in syran wrap and twist the ends tightly to pack them up and refridge for a few hours. also a fattie doesnt need to be rolled into a log; patties, large meatballs, any shape works.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • City Slicker
    Options
    Steeler Fan, ah, ok that sounds like a good idea, these sausages are primo like the rest of his stuff, he is a Traeger and Egg dealer/user, keeps a Traeger outside smoking stuff for lunch. He suggested doing them in a big pattie, but I will add some cheese and junk to make my attempt a little stickier. Thanks for the help and the laugh.