Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

broken fire box

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love my large Egg, and would never consider a reg grill. I have had my egg for 5-6 years.I drove to Atlanta and picked it up from you factory store. Recently I noticed a crack around the fire box. And this morning as I was preparing the egg for an all day pork butt cook, the fire box came apart. Hole to hole split in half. [p]I usually coke low and slow. Every now and then I will fire it up to 500-600 and cook a steak or two. As I understand from the forum, this is ok. Have I miss used the egg? What have I done wrong or is this to be expected after a few years? I guess I am asking for some advice so this wont happen again.[p]

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    pepsicola,
    It does happen, and it is covered under warranty. I'd give Atlanta a call. FYI as long as it is holding together it will work just fine. I cooked with a cracked firebox for years. Only when it broke into 4-5 pieces and the grate holding the charcoal would not stay in place did it become a problem.[p]H

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    pepsicola,
    my small lasted a long time without cracking, but the large only lasts a month or two for me. i have only replaced one box in my 2 larges, but they cook fine if you can get the puzzled pieces back together. all those low and slows helped yours stay together.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    crackedfb.jpg
    <p />pepsicola,
    You can find more information about cracking fireboxes in my ceramic cooker FAQ:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Ceramic Cooker FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    pepsicola,[p]I the firebox still reliably holds the grill in place, you now have a firebox that will never break again and still remain usable. BGE will, of course, replace it for free.[p]Mine broke in 2000 and BGE quickly replaced it. I am still using the old one 1-2 times a week all year and the replacement is in the basement still in foam, ready to replace the broken one.[p]Spin
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Mine eventually looked like that....and I still used it. It was when a smaller piece broke off that the charcoal grate would no longer stay in place.

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Nice table...now if I put that thing on our glass table my wife would have screamed. [p]Greg
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    guava greg,
    Well, that just brings up another Wife story. We all know how she dropped 2 cell phones into porta potties in 8 days, right? Well, that glass table is one of those tables with a hole in the center so you can place an umbrella through the table into a stand. Well, one morning, it was a little windy, so my delicate little butterfly decided that she had better put the umbrella away. No, she didn't think she needed to just let the umbrella down, she decided it needed to be put away. (Any guesses, yet?) Well, she leans over the table and starts to lift this big old umbrella out of the stand. I'd say she had about another 12 inches of the pole to lift up out of the table, when the combination of wind, weight and butterfly strength combined to cause the umbrella to start leaning over. Guess what happens if you have a pole through the hole in the glass table top and the pole falls over?[p]She said that for an instant she could see the table top shattered but hanging in mid air. Then all the little chips fell to the deck. So, to end this story, she doesn't tell me what I can put on the glass table top and what I cannot put on the glass table top. :-)[p]TNW[p]P.S. She does tell me a lot of other things though....

The Naked Whiz