Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken halves

Options
Sippi
Sippi Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many chicken halves can be placed on a large egg? Thanks

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sippi, looks like this is my night to rumble..:-)
    Inside or outside??[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody, now that was dumb..tell him the truth!! heeeyaaa.
    Sippi, if you use a single grill and a rib rack I usually put two to a slot where the ribs are normally seated. I think there are 6 slots so 12 plus two to four more on the eges leaning in on the rack. That is if you use the rack on a second grill supported over your drip pans.
    Hope this helps...
    C~W (Also Char-Woody)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    C~W, whoops...Sippi wants chicken halves..Sorry about that. How are you going to do them..split down the back and flat, looks like about two to a 18" grill. If you need more I would use double grills and rotate em. I have never done those so I am guessing.
    My regrets...
    C~W[p]

• Sippi
    Options
    Char-Woody,Thanks. A friend cooked 150 halves for a cancerw benefit the other night on a grill that he had made for cooking chickens. This was on an open pit at approximately 250 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours. I want to try to duplicate on the egg.
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Sippi, I was funning with ya on the first part, but the volume we cannot duplicate, but I think you will out cook with the results. I would rotate my halves to assure a even cook taking the least amount of time in doing that. What I do is put two grills back to back so I can spin the top grill on the lower one. It works like a bearing. Easy to quick make quarter turn's to eliminate hot spots. Same for burgers etc when you crowd em on. Start with the least amount you can and work up to your limits cook to cook.
    Good luck..enjoy the meal.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sippi, I am playin with this in my mind.. I have not done this and its a maybe..Back to using a rib rack..With a fire barrier under a grill such as a large drip pan, and a standard rib rack which gives you a verical cook, you might get 4 halves in the center slots with the legs pointed upwards. Maybe even 6...I was thinking earlier of the whole chicken split down the center and flattened. One piece flat but a whole bird. Your half if I figure this right is the half breast, leg and drum in one piece. You should be able to fit those in the BGE rib rack easily..
    Hope we have this one right..I may have to try that to find out.
    I would go indirect and raise my temps to 300F..even higher as I learn the cook.
    C~W

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Sippi:[p]On a similar cooker with an 18" grill I get six to eight chicken halves depending upon size of whole chickens to be halved.[p]For cooking I suggest a rub of your choice and grilling at 400º/425º (dome) till done. Remember, with this much chicken on the grill you are going to create a restrictive baffle on a 18" grill. You may want to have your starting fire higher (and cooker preheated) than your actual cooking temperature to compensate. Additionally, there is srinkage in this cook. If you have to crowd the chicken a little it is OK, just make sure you rotate and flip as required.[p]Regarding rubs, a simple rub of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper is good. Lawry's seasoning salt mixed with Obie-Que's Fajita Seasoning also works.[p]Ceramic cookers shine when cooking chicken!
  • Sippi
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks again. You have given me an idea here that I'm going to try. I'm obviously not trying to duplicate the volume, just the results using a mopping sauce with six halves: leg, thigh, half breast and wing. I'll let you know if it works.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sippi, go for it..the fun is in the learning skills you develop.