Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy lump burning question!!!!

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My last few cooks have been driving me crazy. Whenever I put new lump into my egg and light it in a few spots with Mapp gas the fire burns straight down leaving the top lump unlit and a hard time obtaining temps over 350 deg. I am lighting the lump in 5-6 spots along the edge and toward the center, this is how I have always started my egg and I have never had this problem before. I am using Royal Oak (American made) and this is from the same batch that I had no problem with before. I have tried a few different bags but so for I can not figure this out. I have cleaned the egg so I know that there is no build up behind the firebox and the holes in the firebox are also clean. Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so what was your solution.[p]Thanks,
John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    As added information, when the egg finally gets to 400 deg. or over, when I open the lid of the egg I get flashback. It almost seems like the lump is not getting enough air from the daisy wheel but I have increased the opening more then I used to do. I am at a loss.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    does that cracked ash grate you mentioned earlier this week have anything to do with it? The flash back part and the low temps sounds to me like it's starving for air - especially in view of the numerous spots you have lit.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Have you tried taking the daisy wheel off? I never use my daisy wheel unless it is a long and slow cook. I use the bottom slider vent to regulate temps.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    RRP,
    The cracked grate is still intact and the holes in it are not clogged. I would not think that is the problem but I will be ordering a new one from the mother ship and I will let you know if that is the problem. Thanks

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    emjazzin Kansas,
    At this point I will try anything. I will try this Saturday and I will let you know. Thanks

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I know you have had the egg a good while.When was the last time you removed the firebox and removed all of the crud and ash that can back there?That might be your problem.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    darnoc,
    I just recently cleaned it about a month ago. When I did do the clean up there was not that much stuff behind the firbox. Besides I am having the same problem on my small egg as well as the large.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I assume you made sure the vent holes in the firebox were free from ash build up.Beyond that you have me stumped dude.Have used two large eggs for four years and never had that problem that a good cleaning would not cure.

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    By any chance, when you took the fire box out and cleaned it could you have replaced it where it blocks the air intake at the bottom vent. It sounds like it isn't getting enough air and that might be a possibility. Just a thought. It sounds like you have covered just about every other aspect of the problem. Bucky

• Danny
    Danny Posts: 12
    Options
    Retired RailRoader, before you beat your brains in, try a bag of other brand lump.

• infredible
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I just started using the Royal Oak that WALLY World is selling. NO GOOD ..not NEAR as good as the Royal Oak from Paraguay that my egg dealer was selling me.(and eons worse that the Wicked Good stuff) Also, it looks like scrap wood ?? Not natural lump ... looks like and behaves like Cowboy brand ... burns fast .... you dont' get near the hours of use out of a "fill" of this stuff. I think Wally is peddling their usual "cheapest possible" merchandise. Sparks a lot also. It's the "made in USA" stuff.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    The air intake of the firebox is lined up with the Egg's bottom vent. Thanks

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    A little late with an idea here. Try firing up slowly and see how it goes, start out with three spots lit off center in the lump and let the egg slowly get to 250 just like your doing a rib cook. Let the egg heat up and then adjust the vent for your desired target dome temp.
    When the lump is lit it will head twards the direction of air flow, slowing down the air flow will allow the lump to burn sideways, not just straight down.
    The time allowed for this start up is one beer with potato chips.
    Good luck,
    Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    i bought a half pallet of WG comp a few years back and used to get that, the lump was slower burning as well, probably more of a denser wood in that batch. harder to get going, but the burn times were incredible, i had to open the egg up in the middle of long cooks and push the lump off the sides toward the middle.
    the last 2 pallets lite better and dont center burn, they dont last 40 plus hours per fill either. maybe the bags you now have have a higher percentage of red verse white oak or something to that effect, the older wicked good batch definatly did not fan out evenly when lighting and maybe you have a similar problem.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    ClayQ,
    That is another Idea I will try. I am going to try some new lump first and if that does not work out IO will give yours a try next. If your on the south Beach diet I guess I need to drink one glass of water and a handful of cashews for startup. I would rather have the beer and chips though.

• Clay Q
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    No beer.....oh boy. Well can you have a little red wine....and have a slice of sourdough focaccia infused with fresh herbs and virgin olive oil? I'm baking that today.
    Good luck with your fire.
    Clay

• RRP
    Options
    ClayQ,
    for the love of GOD, man! You and your mouth watering breads!!!!!!! We need to see a full picture of you sometime - I bet you're one of those 6' 140# dudes who can eat anything and never gain weight! LOL

• Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    Well, I'm 6'2", 180 pounds of lean mean BBQ cookin machine. Actually, I'd like to gain a few pounds.

• RRP
    Options
    ClayQ,
    well I'm vertically challenged at 5' 7" but 172 so I guess I resemble a stump! 8^)