Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets Talk Burgers

Options
Lizard Dragger
Lizard Dragger Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I have not done burgers on my new egg yet and my boys and I are craving some good ones. I have good quality 80/20 beef and want to make 3 good thick juicy burgers, at least 1" thick. I have archived the site and found 350 degrees for 15 minutes a side in a few posts, what kind of results will I get from that?? Anyone else have any ideas for a really good burger, we like ours medium rare??

Comments

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,
    It has been my experience that they don't take 15 min. per side to achieve med. rare, (I also prefer them that way), so I use a Thermapen instant read thermometer and take them to 135 degrees then let them rest for a good five minutes before serving. They are one of my favorite things on the egg. I think your grid temp. of 350 to 375 is about right. Good luck with them. Bucky

• Lizard Dragger, I've become convinced that in this day and age our ground meat needs to be pretty well done to be safe. I cook them to 160 internal and find that they are still very good when cooled at around 350 to 375 dome. Just my two cents.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    hamburger%20readtoeat.JPG
    <p />Lizard Dragger,[p]This is how I do them and have consistently good results.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Burgers[/ul]
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    DSC_00410001.jpg
    <p />Lizard Dragger, try having the butcher grind it while you wait. I beginning to think fresh ground is best...these are brisket burgers...[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    tjv,
    I don't buy burger at the store any longer. I buy brisket or chuck roasts and grind my own. I agree I think fresh is better.
    Even making homemade Italian Sausage grinding butts up.[p]Mike

• Lizard Dragger,
    I'm with Car Wash and some others here. I'm totally off of "pre-ground" beef. I bought a grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid and do all of my own grinding now. I did it partly out of concern for safety, but also because you can make some awesome burgers mixing your cuts just like you like them.

• TRex,
    i love that pic

• tjv,
    Advance apology on the potential silly question....[p]So can I just buy a brisket flat and cut it into chunks and grind it on a KitchenAid grinder?[p]Thanks,
    Chris

• ccraig4604,
    You bet! I usually do sirloin and chuck, but whatever cut or cuts you can find that will offer a good balance of fat and lean is fine. I'm sure some of the folks here have more experience with this than I do. Let's see if anyone chips in here.
    Hank

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    separatedandtrimmed.jpg
    <p />ccraig4604, I buy the packer briskets, separate the point from the flat, grind the point and slow smoke the flat. You should cut the point into smaller pieces to grind, but prior to grinding cool the pieces in the freezer for 15 minutes or so. Cold meat grinds easier than room temperature meat. The point pieces to be cut and ground is on the left, the flat is on the right. You just need to eyeball how much fat you leave on the point before grinding....[p]grinder.jpg[p][p]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hank,
    Thanks for your response! So now there's another thing I have to add to my list of foods to cook on the egg.... chili, cedar planked salmon, freshly ground burgers.... when does it stop? :)[p]Thanks again,
    ccraig4604

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    burntends1.jpg
    <p />tjv,
    Quit getting rid of my burnt ends! That is why I went to chuck roasts.
    BTW, order a Whole Ribeye today. It will be aged 21 days when I pick it up. Steaks in Oklahoma![p]Mike

• tjv,[p]Cool, thanks! So how do you estimate how much of the fat do you leave of the point? Is it cost effective to grind your own vs. preground (excluding flavor factors, of course)? I will definitely give this a try...[p]Thanks again,
    ccraig4604

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    I buy top sirloin roasts when they are on sale, carve out every chunk of fat and non-meaty tissue I can see, and the grind it with my kitchenaid grinder. What you end up with is super duper extra lean ground beef at a lower cost than regular ground beef. My wife likes if for making sheppard's pie and other ground beef dishes for the fam, but because there is so little fat you have to watch what you make with it.[p]It makes excellent burgers in the egg if cooked properly, but even on the egg the lack of fat leaves little room for error. On anything but an egg they would end up drier than a roast beef in England (that's a cut toward's the limey's). When I make burgers I usually mix it 50/50 with lean ground from my butcher to add some fat. [p]Ottawa_egger
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Thanks. Me too :-)

• Charles in SC
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,
    When I do burgers I throw some mesquite pellets in the coals to make a heavy smoke. I love the strong taste in the burgers. May not be for everyone!.
    Good luck!

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Lizard Dragger, I use a raised grid, Guava or cherry chunk, and shoot for 250º dome. Takes about 40 min, flip at 20 min. No less than 20% fat, about 1/2 lb. Pull at 150. makes a very juicy, smokey burger.

• Correction to the above: I cook them to about 145-150 and they are done through and through at that temp.

• ccraig4604,
    Not sure if I'm late to reply here (been busy Egging!), but I like about 15%-20% fat just eyeballing the cuts. The suggestion to cut the tip off the brisket is dead on. Or, with a sirloin or round, just make sure to leave some fat on for flavor. 90-100% lean just makes a tasteless, crumbly burger, IMHO.