Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

transporter for large egg

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the dimensions? I've found a post that mentionsa 21" hole. How long should the 2x4s be?[p]I'm bringing a large home from the Oklahoma fest for a coworker. Trying to help her help me get it home in one piece for her.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    If this will be just a one-time transport I think I'd go find me a large cardboard box to set it in. It may be a bit dirty from cooking on it anyway and the box would both protect your vehicle while giving the Egg some support. You can always stuff some luggage around it to keep it upright.[p]Spring "Looking For An Easier Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]I brought a large home from Atlanta (720 miles, roughly) in the back of a Honda CRV. I just lashed it to the back of the rear seat and the tie-down points with some cotton rope and bungee cords.[p]No problems until time to take it out -- by myself. I ended up taking it apart for that, but it made the trip intact.[p]Tom
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Take a look at the plans for a table and use the same dimensions for whichever Egg it is - that is, the height and hole diameter. You might want to reduce the height a touch to allow for the tiles that are NOT under the Egg.
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    dhuffjr, two 2'X 2' pieces of heavy duty plywood (1/2" to 3/4") one of them gets the 21" diameter hole. Four 1' long 2x4's. Use 3" deck screws to screw it together, 3 in each end of each 2x4. Also add some gorilla glue. Alternate which way the 2x4's are turned at each corner so they are not perpendicular. About $12 or less total cost.[p]This design and photo is courtesy of Grillmeister. It can also be used to hold the lid while you scrape of the old fried gasket and apply the new one.[p]Cheers
    Transporter-1.jpg

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    What kind of vehicle, dhuffjr?

• dhuffjr
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Minivan,
    I'm just being extra cautious and secure with it. Kathy does a lot of camping so she'll get use out of the transporter I'm sure.[p]H

• RJH,
    Sweet!!! But I bet the truck smells like smoke after you're done with the cook! :P

• dhuffjr
    Options
    RJH,
    Thanks![p]H