Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pickled Eggs-How to?

Options
Pork Puller
Pork Puller Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about making a jar of pickled eggs.If anyone has a 'tried and true'recipe,I would appreciate it. Nothing came up in the archives(probably because this is a BBQ forum huh ).

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Pork Puller,[p]My grandma used to just make the eggs, peal them, put them in a great big jar, fill the jar the rest of the way with pickled beets... Let them sit for a week.[p]Couldn't tell you what they tasted like though as to a young kid they just looked gross.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pork Puller,[p]I have close to a dozen recipes for pickled eggs collected for a yet-to-be published page on my cookin' site. If you want I will e-mail all to you in a pdf file. (I like to do as much testing as possible before just publishing any old recipe...all I ask is, if you try one let me know how it comes out) But here are a couple of proven recipes for starters.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PICKLED EGG NOTES[p]These recipes came from 6 or 8 sources and vary somewhat. These general tips seem to apply to all recipes. All ingredients can be modified to taste. Beets can be added for color. Carrots can be added also. As a substitute for Tabasco or jalapenos, peppercorns can be used. You can really use any color peppercorns, but using white gives the eggs a better appearance. A small amount of turmeric give the eggs a golden color. When salt is called for, use kosher salt – NOT iodized salt.[p]Use only sterilized glass jars – NO Plastic.[p]Boiling the vinegar solution allows the spices to blend. One recipe calls for 1 to 2 hours of boiling, most call for 15 to 20 minutes. The curing time (before eating) seems to vary in most recipes.[p]Storage: Most cooks agree that the shelf life is about 1 month provided the jar is shaken every day or so.[p]PICKLED EGG RECIPES
    B&B's Pickled Egg Recipe
    Ingredients:
    • 2 dozen hard boiled eggs (peeled)
    • 4 cups vinegar
    • 1 jar or can jalapenos
    • 1 onion
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 tablespoon tabasco
    • 1 tablespoon salt [p]Directions:
    Bring ingredients to a boil. In seal-able jar pour over peeled eggs. Let sit for 3 days to 3 months. Shake once a day while chanting "Ya eggs are great, eh?". Serve with salt, pepper, Tabasco, and a beer...(doesn't have to be a Gilt Edge) [p]Garlic Pickled Eggs[p]Ingredients
    12 eggs
    1 onion, sliced into rings
    1 cup distilled white vinegar
    1 cup water (or beet juice)
    1/4 cup white sugar
    10 cloves garlic, peeled [p]Directions
    1. Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
    2. Place the eggs in a 1 quart jar with the onion rings.
    3. In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, water, sugar and garlic. Remove from heat and allow to cool approximately 15 minutes.
    4. Pour the vinegar mixture over the eggs and cover. Refrigerate 1 week before serving. [p]
    Pickled Eggs II[p]Ingredients
    12 extra large eggs
    1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon pickling spice
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 bay leaf [p]Directions
    1. Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
    2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
    3. Transfer the eggs to sterile containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    pickledegg1.jpg
    <p />Master Mason,[p]Beet juice is weird stuff.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pork Puller
    Options

thirdeye
    Thanks for the reply.I'm sure one of these will do for now.
    I finished off one of those half gallon jars of marinated artichoke hearts from Costco.That empty jar looked like the perfect size for some eggs.Thanks again and i'll let ya know how they turn out.
    Keith

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Pork Puller,[p]For cocktail parties I like to use canned quail eggs, found in oriental grocery stores,that I then pickle. Food coloring can be added.
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Pork Puller,
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....my favorite!!![p]Recipe is very simple. [p]One can of beets. Strain the juice into a jar. Place a few of the beets into the jar too. (you dont have to)[p]Add white vinegar. I usually pour in about a 1/4 cup. Then...and this sounds gross....sip the mix. If it is not sour enough for your taste, add more vinegar. If too sour...use a pinch of sugar. [p]Hard boil and peel eggs. Add them to mixture. Wait at least one day. Then enjoy. Will keep about 5-7 days. After that, they get kinda rubbery.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ShortRib,
    having led a sheltered life "pickled eggs" is a foreign term to me, though I LOVE pickled asparagus for instance (that we buy BTW). What does a pickled egg taste similar to etc etc and are they used in some dish or just eaten like a hard boiled egg with a cold beer? Please answer soon as I'm pushing 63 and need to know what I've been missing and need to catch up on! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    RRP,[p]I think they taste sweet and sour. A perfect side for picnic. You can serve them whole or sliced in half like deviled eggs. I usually eat them by fishing them out of the jar and shaking a little salt on them.[p]I like serving them as a side with BBQ too. I think if you really like asparagus pickled, then you'll love eggs. [p]Enjoy!!!!!![p]