Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First real failure

NewbsNewbs Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked up some "country ribs" on my BGE last night and for the first time in over a year filled with terrific results, I had a failure.
These weren't the pork shoulder steaks, or butt-chops that are sometimes called country ribs. These were the odd cuts...the ones with two stubby ends of rib at either end...part loin(white meat) and part shoulder (darker meat). I marinated them overnight in some diced onion, garlic, canola oil, seeded mustard and some dry rub all mixed together. The marinade was fantastic. The problem was the meat. I put the probe in the loin part and when it hit 149, I pulled it off the grill. I had them on a raised grid with a dome temp of 350-375. They were on for about an hour. Well the loin bit was the only part I could eat. The rest of it was either horribly undercooked, or rubbery , or full of chewy connective tissue. Just plain awful. I ate the loin bits and carved the rest up and tossed it into the fridge.
Soooo....[p]I have two questions.[p]1) Has anyone had success with this type of pork?[p]2) Any suggestions for what to do with the leftovers? I'm thinking something along the lines of chili or pork n beans or some sort of slow cooked meal that I can toss alot of leftover pork into.[p]Thanks,[p]John

Comments