Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking A Prime Rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to smoke a Prime Rib for Mother's Day. This will be my first time doing so with the Egg. We will be preparing 2 separate roasts at the same time -- both weighing approx. 4.5 - 5 lbs each. The book says we should allow 22 mintues per pound if we cook it at 300 degrees for a desired center temperature of 175 degrees. MY QUESTION IS THIS: with the TOTAL weight being almost 10 pounds, should we guage our cooking time on the individual weights of the two roasts or the combined weight of the two roasts? (4.5 lbs vs 9 lbs makes a BIG difference...LOL) Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    GMassey, First, Welcome to the forum, and second if its the BGE cookbook, it does have some good info, but check in here on the forum for better updated information. [p]A standing prime rib should, IMHO, never be over cooked to the temperatures your describing..There are many prescriptions for doing prime rib and you will be offered several here.
    My favorite so far is to preserve the delicious flavor of prime and its juices by simply using a light kosher salt and rub in fresh ground peppercorn. For your first venture, just simply cook at 350 F degrees, indirect, elevated over a drip pan till the internal reaches 135 to 140 degrees. Remove, tent under foil on the platter for 15 minutes and carve. The au jus is terrific..The meat is medium Rare. Perfect for Prime rib. If your taste is a Medium, then cook to 145 internal and do the above.
    Cheers and good luck.
    C~W[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    GMassey,
    I agree with Char-Woody; I'd never cook a piece of meat to those temps. Your meat will be way over cooked.[p]While I've never done two roasts on the Egg at the same time, I would think you should judge them independently not as a whole because you are cooking 2 roasts, not one.

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the information; I'll use it. Now for the time table: How long should it take for the roasts to reach this internal temperature? I want to schedule it so that it will be ready as close to 12:30 p.m. as possible. I don't want to put them on too early and I sure don't want a mob of 15-20 hungry folks standing around waiting on me! LOL Thanks in advance...

• Unknown
    Options
    Shelby,
    Thanks for the advice. Guaging the cooking time on their individual weights was what I thought would be correct; I just needed some "expert" adivce. Thanks for supplying it!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    GMassey,
    Figure about 20 min per pd as a rule of thumb. As good as the EGG is it can't count. It has no idea whether you have 1 or 2 roasts in it.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    GMassey,[p]Shelby is right on the money. I am "egging" today 12 pounds of prime rib myself. The butcher has cut the prime rib into 2 - 6 pound racks. I'll start my prime rib @ 275°F and watch the meat temp rise. If need be I'll bump the Egg's temperature later in the cook to finish.[p]I anticipate that the 6 pound racks will be ready for tenting after 3 hours on the Egg.[p]Good luck,
    Puj