Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron cooking grates

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found/tried cast iron cooking grates on the BGE? I love the Egg, but the cast iron grates on my old Charbroil 940 were killer for searing. Where can I find them to fit the large BGE? Thanks.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Ken M.,
    Stick with what works for you now. I have something in mind that will beat cast iron for steaks and can be used for pizza also. Its all coming up in the future from "The end of Rainbow Drive down the green brick road". Not even BGE has a hint.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    I'm impressed. I'm not on the forum often, so would you please let me know? Many thanks.

• SLOPPY PIG
    SLOPPY PIG Posts: 33
    Char-Woody,How are you my friend?
    I've been away from the forum for a while as my company has sold to an out of state buyer.I am in the transistion stages now,but,I am going to remain in tuscaloosa AL.When you care to share some info on your idea please let me in with some clues(off the cuff.
    I pray that all is well.God bless you this day.
    Your long distance friend in ceramic.BTW took a 5th place on ribs out of 36 last weekend in a MIM event AND 6th in shoulders out of 21.

• Char-Woody
    SloppyPig, Hey...I love your ribbon's more than the personal comments..but I like them too. I am human :-)
    I got some goodies for ya..Especially those Trailer Tote Eggs you haul around. It will make em shine like the Big Buckets..:-)
    Congrat's on the win's..5th is something to yell about.
    Cheers atcha down there..
    C~W
    BTW..how are the thermometers working? Mine is no problem. I see TimM is hosting a 2" stem of the same type.
    2 bucks I think....heeeeyaaa..(kidding)[p]

• Char-Woody
    Ken M., Its one of my "accidental" finds. But I think it will be the wave of the future for all cookers. At least its potential is most interesting..Later!!
    C~W

• SLOPPY PIG
    SLOPPY PIG Posts: 33
    Char-Woody,The temp guages are working great.Thanks again for your help and the contact name,he has been very helpful with the guages and other things.HEY give me your opinion of my judging presentation.
    "Welcome to Green Eggs and Hog,thats who we are.We cook the best BBQ from near a far.
    My name is Dave thats who I am,this is my wife her name is Pam.We'd like to show you our cooking process today,follow me-come right this way...Our cookers are special they are really neat,from them come the most flavorable meat.These Green Eggs hold moistness well-when you sample our meat you can tell. we use apple the finest of wood to smoke to perfection,boy this pork is good! Our rub and our sauce add just the right spice,your taste buds will shout"Wow really nice".Well thats our intro,lets cut with the rhyme,lets eat and talk with the rest of our time."

• Char-Woody
    SloppyPig, ya got me laughin me self silly..Hey its almost perfect, but "talk with the rest of our time." could be "PBR and talk with us the rest of our time"...Thats to make KennyG happy and proud..heeeeyaa.. Great job SloppyP.
    C~W[p]

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Char-Woody,
    Are you holding out on us? I have been searching for the same thing. Please open the doors on the searing sensation!

• Char-Woody
    Palisin, I am going to hold you all in suspense for a while. But from what I understand, this imparts a flavor to steak and burgers that is outa sight. I have to test it first and if it's true..then you all are in for a treat.
    Hang with me.. I hate the taste of shoe leather..:-)
    C~W
    (No, its not Ghee or Olive oil but I bet they will work with it also)

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    cast_iron_grate.jpg
    <p />Ken M.,[p]I cut out cast iron grates for my Small and Mini eggs. I also have a Large but kept my porcelain grill for it since I mostly use the Small and Mini for high temp work. Besides, I haven't found a cast iron replacement grate large enough to cut a grill out for the Large.[p]This evening, I just grilled some bs breasts on the Small. Five minutes at 400 on the first side, flip, dust with garlic powder and grill for another three minutes. Add a slice of provel cheese long enough to melt and they were simply scrumptious.[p]Carl T

• Carl T,
    Wow! Thanks for the pic. Looks great (grate?). Try putting a foil wrapped brick (no joke) on top of your bs breast while cooking for world champion grill marks. Found that the fire grates from my old charbroil 940 (I'm sure they still carry the part) fit the Big Egg. At 10" X 15.5" it leaves side gaps, but look forward to trying it.[p]Where did you get the grates for the small, how do you cut them?[p]Many thanks, Ken