Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Many thanks to all who helped a first-time buyer !!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hello again, folks! I would like to thank the dozen or so of you who were kind enough to respond to my recent query re: what size of Egg to buy! I brought the big guy home this evening, and will be firing
it up this weekend. I have a nice grain-fed chicken that I want to either bbq or smoke -- haven't decided (although leaning in favor of the increased beer consumption afforded by smoking vs. cooking)! Does anyone have any special tips or suggestions for a newbie smoking his first (approx. 8 lb.) chicken?[p]Thanks again to everyone. I hope that I will be able, at some point, to contribute to someone else's knowledge. At the very least, I may be able to accurately estimate the smoking time of an 8 lb. chicken in terms of number of beers (good Canadian beer, of course, so perhaps a conversion factor will be necessary)![p]Cheers,[p]Doug Tansley.

Comments

• Doug Tansley,
    HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome!!
    I suggest S M O K E that baby!
    For the better results....use a verticle rack. If you dont have have one....sign off and get one NOW. I have found that alowing the bird to cook from the inside out(rather then from the outside in, which without a verticle rack cooks) comes out with much more tender meat.
    Good luck bro! He!
    ST

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Smokn' Todd,[p]Hey, ST! But how 'bout dem wings?!? I want some more now!!! Heee!!![p]Later (brisket this weekend is probable; salmon and some others are definite),
    Cornfed

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Doug Tansley,[p]Welcome and enjoy the Egg. Yell when you have a question and get ready for some fine eating.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Doug Tansley,
    Any setup over a drip pan will work. I usually elevate a grid several inches over the drip pan, and lay the bird on a v-rack. Usually cook at 300-350, maybe 20 minutes a pound, to a breast temp of 165. You could also do 250 with a little smoke, which makes a tasty smoky bird, gives you more drinking time, but the skin doesn't crisp up....unless you kick it up o finish it off.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ