Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meat for chili

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am entering a local chili cook off and would like to use a smoked meat for the chili; my wife is not a fan of chili made with stringy meat but rather a chunky type. The chili will be a Mexican version, any ideas of what I might be able to smoke and which type of wood to use to get a nice meat base for this chili?
Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Just Me,
    I use both pulled pork and beef brisket. I prefer the PP because my daughter loves it in her chili. Hope that helps. Good luck, Tom

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    Just Me,
    Last weekend I made my first barbecue (pulled pork for you non-NC folks out there) on my Egg. I always serve baked beans that have breakfast sausage in them alongside my barbecue. Well, I happened to have a fatty in the freezer, so I used that -- far and away the best beans I have ever made.[p]That said, you might consider some combination of fatties to use for your meat. Once cooled, break (cut) into chunks and brown in your pan to render some fat.[p]Good luck.[p]Matt

• Just Me,
    I always toss in some smoked chorizo along with whatever my "primary meat" is. Tons of flavor!

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Just Me,
    I have to agree with your wife. Being from Texas it is the LAW that you must use beef stew meat and cut those chunks up even smaller. They still retain a chunky taste without getting stringy and you get a real meat flavor. One thing I do that is not normal is I put a dash of Hershey's chocolate syrup in it....mmmm....good... We cook ours in a dutch oven on the egg with some hickory wood. Good luck - there's nothing better!!!

Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Just Me,
    I use cubed beef and cubed pork and cubed venison if available. Usually 60% beef or venison and 40 % pork. I cube about 1/2 by /2 or 1 by 1. It breaks down during the cook but is not so large as to be stringy.
    Dave

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Just Me,[p]The one time I didn't use ground beef I used tritip cut into 5/8 dice- broke down some but not stringy and great flavor.[p]hth[p]Big T