Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Candy, Chicken, Advice needed!

Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I woke up late this morning and my wife just informed me that she invited her family (12 adults, 4 teens)over later this afternoon (4 o'clock). Now I have to figure out something to cook on my large BGE. My wife thinks that I can just throw some chicken pieces on the egg. I could but I would like to cook something with more of a "WOW" factor.[p]In the past on seperate occasions I've cooked ABT's, spare ribs, burgers, and a pork butt for this same group. So now they think I'm some kind of master BBQ'er on my BGE.[p]Here is what I'm thinking, but you are MORE then welcome to pitch in with your input. PLEASE! I need the help.[p]Chicken roll-ups: Cajun seasoned chicken breast(boneless/flattened) stuffed with cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, wraped in bacon.[p]Skinless chicken thighs for those that just want chicken.[p]Potato salad and garlic bread for the sides.[p]I want to try " Third Eyes" PIG CANDY.[p]One question.....when do I cook the pig candy? I certainly won't have enough room in the egg to cook everything at once,I think. Or whould it be posssible to cook the roll-ups and chicken on the main grill and the Pig Candy on the upper grate at the same time?[p]How would you guys handle this cook?
My reputation with the BGE is on the line :) [p][p][p]

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Tiger Tony,[p]The pig candy can be cooked ahead of the chicken, it keeps well. The two choices of chicken sound good to me, actually really good.[p]If you have the time, I wonder if you should start the Egg, then dash down to the store for some fatties now? (or send the wife) Once they come off (in 3 hours), you can foil and cooler them as they keep really well and will fit right in with everything else. 3 of them should be fine. 4 would be better.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tony
    Thank You thirdeye ![p]Aaahhhh.... fatties are a great idea. I'll do the fatties way ahead of time and foil them like you suggest. Then start cooking the Pig Candy about a half hour before the guest arrive, after the Pig Candy I'll do the chicken. I feel better now :)[p]Thirdeye, I just checked out your Fire and Smoke site to learn about the fatties.
    If I go buy Jimmy Dean sausage and want to make 4 stuffed fatties. Do I flatten their links, stuff and roll into 1lb logs or does Jimmy Dean come ground in a big log? Beleive it or not I have never bought Jimmy Dean sausage before, but I think maybe I've seen big logs of it in the store.

• thirdeye
    Tiger Tony,[p]No, just pickup a 1# or 2# logs, add rub or at least black pepper and have at it. Stuffing is optional, I would skip it on this batch due to time. The only flavor I don't care for is BOLD.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Tiger Tony,[p]If your local market doesn't have Jimmy Dean sausage, other brands can work well. Along with J.D., my local market has Tennessee Pride and Bob Evans, as well as a store brand. The store brand is awful, way too much fat, but the others are fine. A pre-made roll is way easier to work with than making one from bulk or individual sausages.[p]Have fun with the sudden entertaining!
    gdenby

• Tony
    thirdeye,
    Thanks again!
    Now off to the store I go............

• thirdeye,[p]I haven't been keeping up on the forum lately. Tell me, what is Pig Candy? Please give me the recipe. Thanks.
    fishmeyer

• thirdeye
    John Meyer,[p]You can catch up real fast with this quick snack.

[ul][li]Pig Candy[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~