Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: What temp range is the "plateau"?

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
augustabutt1.jpg
<p />At home in Augusta doing this boston butt (legally) with my dad. Have the Guru going but I think some gusty winds or something kicked the temp to about 275 (dome, calibrated) for about an hour - still trying to get it back down. [p]Anyway, it's been on about 3.5 hours and is already at 148 internal (yes, temp probe is dead in the center and calibrated - I reverified this). This is about a 7.5 lb butt. [p]Is it cooking too fast? Or, perhaps the better question is, in what temp range does the plateau typically exist and, is it not true that the most important thing is to make sure the butt cooks through this temperature range at the lower temperature, thus prolonging the plateau? In other words, is it okay to cook a little faster up to the plateau range and then slow it down?[p]I just checked at the dome temp is back down to 250, but I'm still just a little afraid this sucker is cooking too fast.[p]Thanks for your advice.[p]Not a butt expert,[p]TRex

Comments

• TRex,[p]From what I understand the plateau is at 160. But, the last butt I did I never experienced a plateau. I was cooking a Dr BBQ recipe @ 275 and it finished in 7 hours with a steady climb all the way to 195. Much faster than I expected.[p]It was falling off the bone and tasted incredible.
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    TRex,[p]
    your fine, yes you want to prolong the plateu as that is when the fat is broken down and becomes the juice for the overcooked piece of meat, thereby making it tender and juicey.[p]Range is from 160 or so to 170 or so...[p]Have 2 in the fridge thawing for a cook tomorrow :)

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    TRex,
    I think you are fine. I haven't done one in awhile, but as I recall, I usually think the same as you until it hits 160 and stays there or drops for a loooong time. No 2 are ever the same, though, and like they say, it's done when it's done. Butts are the most forgiving cook there is, IMHO, and 275 won't hurt 'em a bit. You'll have fine eats when it's done, and how about that smell while it's cooking ! )

• TRex,
    that's the bestest rubbed raw butt i ever did see![p]it's done when it's done and then it's done.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    TRex,[p]First off looks less than 7.5 lbs but you have the lb label so you know best. Let her go and do some more legal stuff wif yo' dad. He will all go yummmmmm tomorrow and Sunday when he enjoys BBQ and Virginia advances closer to NCAA Final 4.

• TRex
    Options
    EggstraLarge,[p]That was my memory as well - it has already slowed down considerably - at 156 now.[p]Thanks for the response.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Master Mason,[p]Thanks for the info.[p]Good luck on your butts as well![p]Cheers,[p]TREx
  • TRex
    Options
    Basscat,[p]I does smell heavenly right now. I almost want to wrap up in a sleeping bag and sleep next to the Egg. [p]Would that be weird?[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Thanks dude. I did think it was mighty pretty - for a raw butt.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    byc,[p]We're all gonna go YUM when Vandy advances past Washington State tomorrow.[p]Go Dores![p]TRex
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo T,
    I was going to offer advice..until you made reference to vandy's upcoming loss to my Cougars. These west side men are rated 3 and your boys are rated 6. I'm wearing my Go Coug's shirt all weekend. (all in fun)..
    Your butt will stall some place if your'in bout 225° grate range. Keep cooking, foil w/ flavor kicks, whatever works from there.
    What time is the game broadcast?
    YF
    DTM

• TRex
    Options
    DTM,[p]Your Cougars' loss will begin at 5:40 p.m. EST.[p]:-)
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo T,
    Thx for the time. I'll have to get phone updates from home starting at 3:45 MDT or so. Prob be pretty well done by then.
    Good luck on the butt. Nice precook pic.
    I like some pineapple juice in the foil if you go that way.
    Go Cougs,
    DTM

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    It will be fine. It is really hard to screw up a Boston Butt. Pull it at 195-200 internal.

Woody
  • TRex, Thanks for the set up info last night. It's 9am here and the 9lb butt has been on for 11 hours. The internal temp was up to 170 around 7am and has settled at 165. I'm holding a constant dome of 230 and I guess I just need to wait for meat temp of 200. The neighbors are lick'n their chops. How is your cook going. What did you rub that with, man that looks great!

• TRex
    Options
    BEERbelly,[p]Mine finished after 16 hours and man was it good. I don't even have any pictures cause the family ate it up in a jiffy. [p]I do have a new favorite butt rub combination, though: 1 part turbinado sugar to 1 part Diggy Pig Shakin' the Tree - it was the most amazing bark I've had to-date.[p]Hope you had success as well,[p]TRex