Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Took the Plunge!

Options
David B.
David B. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a large BGE. I also bought the cradle and wings, a daisy wheel, ash tool. I have some experience smoking on a cheapo bullet smoker and more grilling. I look forward to my first cook on the egg. Unfortunately it won't be delivered until Thursday May 17th. In the meantime, wish me luck. I look forward to learning much about using my egg on this forum.[p]David Burnside

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David B.,[p]Many congradulations. Since you have some experience with smokers you will adapt even more quickly. You will notice that the low air flow thru the ceramic cookers that food doesn't dry out and you don't need to add water to moisten everything. You will notice that a small amount of wood goes a looong way, again because the air moves thru slower - the smoke hangs around longer in there. Ignore the manual's recipe section and post questions here. The manual is grossly inaccurate in times and temps to cook at.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's website of pics and cookkbook[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    David B.,[p]Congratulations are in order! The anticipation (of the egg’s arival may be hard, but if you're like me, you find yourself wondering why you waited so long to "take the plunge"! I love my eggs (2 of them) and suspect you will too! Can't wait to hear of your egg-ventures![p]Smokey

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Tim M,
    You beat me by 45 seconds. If only I could type faster! Got anything cookin', or plans for moma's day??[p]Smokey

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    David B.,
    Welcome to the group. BGE'ing isn't much different than taking your first bungie jump...:-) After the first time, your a pro..Almost. Yell if you need help. Lots of us who have winged it are around to help.[p]Char-Woody

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    David B.,
    Welcome. You won't need much luck! You are moving in the right direction. Hang out with us, and you will soon be cooking things you never imagined, and all that you have dreamed. No question is too dumb, so ask away. [p]If you are like WessB, you will have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go by the time it arrives![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    LOL...you are so right my friend...the only thing I have had to buy since the egg got home was a grill gripper..even had the friggin freezer stocked in anticipation of the "Arrival of thou EGG"...had some AWESOME ribs last night, if I do say so myself.[p]Wess

• David B.
    David B. Posts: 24
    Options
    Tim M,
    I thought those recipes looked a little "off", based on my own previous experience with other grills and smokers. I checked off moderately helpful when I returned the warranty card. I got that warranty card done right away, it was the only BGE related thing I could do until the unit arrives![p]David B.

• Tim M
    Options
    David B.,[p]No, actually now you should start looking for 4 firebricks. [p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    WessB,
    You can cook us up a mess o'them ribs next year too.[p]Tim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    David B.,[p] Nice to have you join the forum. I know when I saw the Egg, I knew that I would have one within 48hrs. I would not want to wait untill the 17th, bet this doesn't help you feel better. Hee Hee. It will be here before you know it.[p]Earl
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Tim M,
    That could very well be in the forecast...I`ll be cooking something, thats for sure[p]Wess