Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any suggestions on pork loin end roast?

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all,[p]I found this really nice looking pork roast. Its about 3.5 pounds. It appears to be a whole section from which might be cut "t-bone" pork chops. About half is fat capped, the two other quarters are, respectively, meat and bone on the outside. Has anyone done one of these roasts? Should it just get a nice rub, and then cooked at 350 indirect? Or maybe injected and cooked lower and slower to build up a nice crust?[p]Any suggestions much appreciated.[p]gdenby

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    e71dc5cf.jpg
    <p />gdenby,[p]Does it resemble this beast? If so, fishlessman provided me with the technique he has perfected. Link is below.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    ribsandloin.jpg
    <p />gdenby,
    With the bone still attached, that tenderloin is going to be great. I would just smoke low and slow with a nice rub. For the rest, I like to cut a pocket and stuff with fresh fruits, cashews and wrap in bacon.[p]Mike

• gdenby
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I don't think it needs any bacon, it has a really nice layer of fat. So low and slow should crisp that up really nice. [p]Thanks
    gdenby

• gdenby
    thirdeye,[p]Its different. There aren't any visible ribs. The bones on the outside appear to be backbone, with the spinal cord chanel running through them. The muscle side is fat sheathed. Given that, I think going for a sear towards the end to crisp the outside might be the way to go.[p]Its such a nice looking hunk of meat, I doubt I can ruin it. Assuming I can slow down long enough to shoot photos before tearing into it, I'll post some pics after tomorrows cook.[p]thanks
    gdenby

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    882e9ce4.jpg
    <p />gdenby,[p]Oh, more like this boy? They are cut from the other end of the loin. Be careful to not over cook it, the meat is still loin and can dry out. I cook them raised direct to get good color but only take them to 145°/150° internal.[p]Looking forward to seeing your pictures.[p]~thirdeye~[p]e84877b1.jpg[p]743b1564.jpg[p]73ee890f.jpg[p]f89cde60.jpg

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike,[p]Damn, I got to get on the smoker...it's been 2 weeks since I opened my egg! We finally got moved into the new house, I think I'll enjoy some ribs and loin tomorrow!
  • gdenby
    thirdeye,[p]Yes, that looks more like it! I will certainly watch the internal and not overcook. I'll aim at an outside like the second to last pic.[p]gdenby
  • Car Wash Mike
    thirdeye,
    I thought he had a tenderloin, like a porterhouse steak. I'm so confused. Got a pic of that?[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    locolongball,
    There should be a fine for not using the egg more often. Glad you got moved in. I'm not looking forward to moving into a new house. How is that golf game going? I need strokes. I had a procedure.[p]Mike