Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thirdeye...Pig Candy Thanks

Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
edited 9:31AM in EggHead Forum
IMG_2967.jpg
<p />Man, this is good. Done as per your instructions with Coarse Dizzy Dust, and on the last turn added the brown sugar and a coating of Richard Howe's Indian River Pepper Blend(no, it's not available, but darn good). I'm really wanting to do like Rick'sTropicalDelight, and make a BLT out of this stuff. [p]Thanks, Man...I never knew....[p]Mike[p]IMG_2965.jpg[p]IMG_2966.jpg[p]
·

Comments

• SigmoreSigmore Posts: 621
    Lawn Ranger, Thanks alot!! Now I have to teach my wife CPR!! BLT, OMG!!

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,519
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Yeah, pig candy is amazing. I tried making some last weekend. I took too long turning the first batch, and the temperature jumped to 400, and burnt the sugar. I did the second batch faster, and had good results. Only one piece survived till the next day.[p]gdenby
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I hear you about the BLT. After Rick's picture a couple of weeks ago I made one with pig candy and added avacodo slices. Man, was that good.[p]Next time you do some trading with richard, put the bite on him for some Indian River "Chipotle" Pepper Blend. It is good too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Ha, from one extreme to the other regarding quantity. You said in your earlier post that you did about 12 slices on the large. Last week I cured 3 butts making buckboard bacon, last night I made all three butts into pig candy for a function tomorrow afternoon. I think it was about 18 pounds or so, thick cut peppered buckboard bacon. I cooked all three in my FE cooker and it was pretty loaded down. My guess is that it wont last long either. Good stuff. Thanks for the pics.[p]Troy
    ·
  • Lawn Ranger,
    Damn that looks good! I think the best bacon I ever had was from an Egg long before I got mine. The guy basted the bacon with thinned molasses, then sprinkled chopped pecans on them and dusted them with a wee bit of brown sugar. Something like that. Anyway, those strips look quite edible!! [p]Hank

·
  • 4mar07_1-005.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,[p]pig candy!!
    i would like to thank thirdeye for that recipe once again as well . i just got back from sam's (my first time) and krogers. i brought home 2 small boston butts, 4 pork tenderloins, and 4 tubes of jimmy dean regular but no bacon![p]and with two mentions of my blt, i just had to repost this photo...
    the rule is, you must bake the bread in the egg for the blt or it doesn't count! heheh

·
  • Rick's Tropical Delight, That sure makes me hungry.

·