Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thirdeye...Pig Candy Thanks

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_2967.jpg
<p />Man, this is good. Done as per your instructions with Coarse Dizzy Dust, and on the last turn added the brown sugar and a coating of Richard Howe's Indian River Pepper Blend(no, it's not available, but darn good). I'm really wanting to do like Rick'sTropicalDelight, and make a BLT out of this stuff. [p]Thanks, Man...I never knew....[p]Mike[p]IMG_2965.jpg[p]IMG_2966.jpg[p]

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Lawn Ranger, Thanks alot!! Now I have to teach my wife CPR!! BLT, OMG!!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Yeah, pig candy is amazing. I tried making some last weekend. I took too long turning the first batch, and the temperature jumped to 400, and burnt the sugar. I did the second batch faster, and had good results. Only one piece survived till the next day.[p]gdenby
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I hear you about the BLT. After Rick's picture a couple of weeks ago I made one with pig candy and added avacodo slices. Man, was that good.[p]Next time you do some trading with richard, put the bite on him for some Indian River "Chipotle" Pepper Blend. It is good too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Ha, from one extreme to the other regarding quantity. You said in your earlier post that you did about 12 slices on the large. Last week I cured 3 butts making buckboard bacon, last night I made all three butts into pig candy for a function tomorrow afternoon. I think it was about 18 pounds or so, thick cut peppered buckboard bacon. I cooked all three in my FE cooker and it was pretty loaded down. My guess is that it wont last long either. Good stuff. Thanks for the pics.[p]Troy
  • Lawn Ranger,
    Damn that looks good! I think the best bacon I ever had was from an Egg long before I got mine. The guy basted the bacon with thinned molasses, then sprinkled chopped pecans on them and dusted them with a wee bit of brown sugar. Something like that. Anyway, those strips look quite edible!! [p]Hank

• 4mar07_1-005.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,[p]pig candy!!
    i would like to thank thirdeye for that recipe once again as well . i just got back from sam's (my first time) and krogers. i brought home 2 small boston butts, 4 pork tenderloins, and 4 tubes of jimmy dean regular but no bacon![p]and with two mentions of my blt, i just had to repost this photo...
    the rule is, you must bake the bread in the egg for the blt or it doesn't count! heheh

• Rick's Tropical Delight, That sure makes me hungry.