Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon

Options
tripmac
tripmac Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do salmon fillets on a plank. I have everything in place and am ready to cook. A couple of questions have come up.[p]How long does it take?[p]I am planning on garnishing with lemons and a dizzy pig product what else do I do to it?[p]Trip

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    tripmac,
    Time will be different depending on temp and direct or indirect. Just check it occasionally till it flakes, do not cook it till it is dry. Be sure to soak your plank before, especaiil if it will be direct.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01533aBb.jpg
    <p />tripmac,[p]The DP & lemon will work great. I cook mine until the internal is about 130*. Doneness is a personal thing, some cook until the meat flakes. I try to remove just before it flakes, then let it rest. A thermometer should be your guide, but I think a fillet of this size takes me about 30 minutes.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tripmac,
    when i do planked salmon, i set my egg up at 425 direct. . .make sure planks are soaked for 3 or 4 hours. . .put plank on the grill and wait until it starts to "crackle" a little, then stick the salmon filets on. . .dizzy raging river is great on salmon as is the new shaking the tree rub. . .squeeze some fresh lemon on it as well (or simply lay some lemon slices over it). ..usually takes about 18 - 20 minutes for thick salmon filets. ..check to see if its 'flakey'. . ..good stuff[p]DSCN0269.jpg[p]DSCN0193.jpg

• tripmac
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the tips. I see the scallops there on the end. I had never eaten scallops much but cooked some on the egg a couple of weeks ago and now they are a staple at my house.[p]Trip

• tripmac
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thank is one of the pictures I have saved (along with one from Rick's Tropical). I just forgot to copy the instructions.[p]Trip

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]thanks thirdeye, that looks fantastic. i think i'll be doing that this Sunday :-)
  • 10feb07-002.jpg
    <p />Tripmac,
    dis 1 ?

• tripmac
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Yep thats teh one! Hope to be looking like that this afternoon.[p]
    Trip