Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Without Stone for Egg

Options
AZ Traveler
AZ Traveler Posts: 664
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm waiting on my pizza stone to arrive after mine broke the other night. I made a pizza tonight without a stone tonight and it was bad.
Here it is in progress:[p]IMG_0561.jpg[p]Here it is before going on the egg:[p]IMG_0563.jpg[p]Here it is after it came off the egg:[p]IMG_0564.jpg[p]Not a very crispy crust. Does anyone have some good tips for cooking one on the egg without a stone?
Enjoy, AZ

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    You can cook it directly on a grid. I've not done it so I can't give you specifics, but you flop the raw dough down on the grid and cook one side. Then you flip it and add the toppings. Maybe someone can chime in with details. I've seen/heard this on food TV several times.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks, that would make it crisper than the way I did it tonight. AZ

• AZ Traveler,
    You can cook it directly on the platesetter.
    Bob

• infredible
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    ..it wasn't done ! Good NY style pizza (which is what you have there) , when done in Brooklyn (the good stuff) is black on the edges ... My best results ... roll out dough / assemble pizza on parchment paper ...Egg ... platesetter with pizza stone on the little egg feet but you can do right on the platesetter .... get egg to nuke temps ... really nukin ... open (burp yes) slide pizza w/ parchment on platesetter/pizza stone .. close egg ... in a few minutes open egg / burp / etc. and pizza will be 1/2 done already, try to sneak out the parchment ... not too hard usually, close egg and check every minute ..lift up pizza and crust needs to be tan/brown/golden all the way accross the pizza ..ignore the top of the pizza that might be getting really melted / charred but it's really good that way. Total ET 4 to 7 minutes at nuke temps. To get to temp. I usually just open the egg up wide , no top , bottom no screen and let it rock ... they cook it on coal in Brooklyn at the really good place so temp as high as possible. Try again, the Egg really does the pizza thing great! Oh yea .. put platesetter/pizzastone in there to warm up (to 500 at least) for at least 15 minutes ..otherwise your "first " pizza of the "session" will not be so good . Enjoy.
    PS...best breakfast none to man. Egg pizza for breakfast next day, directly from the fridge.

• AZ Traveler,
    In a pinch, you could substitute a ceramic tile from one
    of the Big Box stores. It's cheap and may not stay in one
    piece very long, but it will work. Just a thought.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    BobsBlues&BBQ,
    I thought about doing that but I would had to nuke my platesetter for about an hour to clean it up some.
    Sure missed my pizza stone. Thanks, AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    infredible,
    I think you are right about not being done. Should have my new stone in a couple of days. I will try your suggestions on my next pie. Thanks for the input. AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    K_sqrd,
    Now that you mention it, I have a few leftover in my shed.
    Never thought of it. Good idea, thanks, AZ