Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I guess I am just lucky

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am the proud owner of a large, a small and a mini. Over teh years, I have had my share of cracked fire bowels and even broke a ceramic top and the base of teh small. But, I have never had a failure of a gasket. Mind yoy, there is no evidence of a gasket ever having existed on the large. Still, it doesn't leak ( unless I put the GURU on at full speed and close everything off -- then I see smoke leaking whereever it can get out.). [p]I figure the real test of a leak is does the fire go out when everything is shut down -- it does.[p]Mind you, I nuke steaks and have hit pegged temperature readings on several occasions for a variety of reasons.[p]So should I feel neglected, lucky or just unobservant ( is that a word?). What am I missing?

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Campcook,
    Sounds like you are well seasoned cooker. I got my Large BGE Sept 06'. No major incidents so far... other than if forgot to close the vents off after a cook.. wasted some lump. I am adding a small egg hopefully it will get to my local dealer by the end of this week. Haven't told the wife yet but I would like to add the mini ;=) Do you use your mini alot? your small? just curious.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    My favorite is always the large. But, If it is just the two of us I use the small or mini for steaks and so on. I have built a campsite table for the small and prefer to take it camping. I have done three five pound butts overnite while camping at Drummond Island.. But, now I have resorted to the Mini for camping just because of the weight. It is a good unit. I managed to make racks of Lamb for 7 people by searing and cooking in shifts. We all finished within about 45 minutes[p]I have also used the large and small together to get a single complicated feast together but have not got all three involved in the same meal. That's sort of a one-man-band show i am still not up to.[p]What ever you are doing, always opt for the largest cooker you can justify. It makes life easier.
    JMHO
    Dave

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Campcook,[p] I would say you best be knocking on wood cause you just jinked yourself.. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Campcook,
    methinks that something is afoot in the world of recent BGE adhesion issues. 350, for example, is not a "friable" temp, and yet some have said they lost theirs at that temperature. and then this talk of letting glue "set". hmmmm. most glue slackens when heated, and if they recommended adhesive for repairs is scotch 3M 'Super77', well, that's not going to get better when it warms. it's just rubber cement. in fact, i bet that's WHY they come off, if that's the stuff being used. thoguh admittedly there DOES seems to be a break in period.[p]i think something has changed on the new units. don't know what.
    they DO have a new gasket in the pipeline, but are taking pains to make sure the adhesive is safe around food, etc. til then, the current gasket is still shipping with new units. so maybe it's the adhesive. [p]i've never seen such a number of new units with gasket-melt, in the four or five years i've been lurking here. then again, we have a LOT of new people posting, and the bigger the sample pool, the greater the number of people will have the gasket issue, even if it is still the same percentage of folks as previously.[p]...meaning, nothing could have changed at all, but it's logical to hear more and more stories since the number of users is expanding. see?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    CampCook,
    Thanks for the advice... I am adding the small becuase of my low and slow cooks with My Large... and the fact I am itching to do multiple cooks at different temps. :=) I guess for the momment the mini isn't practical for me ;=(