Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare rib tweaking

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang...I`m getting ready to do some spares for some friends and was wondering what adjustments to make to the gfw process....first off, we got 2 full slabs, over 8# of spares, and my master plan was to do the 3/1/1.5 method however where the method is explained it always refers to babybacks and typically spares take longer than B/B...what time changes should be made to compensate for using spares? Also I`ve seen it used anywhere from 250 up to 350 ??
What would you recommend. They have been slathered and generously coated with JJ`s rub and will have sat in the fridge for approx. 40 hours when they hit the smoke, which will be pecan and apple wood, all this indirect over firebricks and a drip pan...my guesstimate would be 3/1.5/1.5 @ 300* and as Tim has stated, check with an instant read therm. for a internal temp of approx. 190* and I`m still undecided on wehter I will use my inverted V rack or not...[p]Thanks in advance..[p]Wess

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    WessB, heres my $.02, I cook spare ribs at around 275, indirect, using GFW's method slightly modified. I generally cook them 4,1,~1/2 hours. basting the last part with your sauce of choice if any. The times are not critical, just watch the ribs, and when the meat starts to shrink on the bones, thats when I start to slather the ribs with sauce and start to check the meats temp with a probe. When its around 190, pull them. The times vary, but I expect it to take about 5~6 hours before eating and I just plan accordingly.
    Most times this works great ;). When it don't, I just say, oh well, next time will be better ;)!
    later,
    ChefRD[p]

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    WessB,
    IMHO you got things just right.As a 'pore' bama boy I ain't never been able to ford nunna them fancy baby backers,If it wasn't for Cat last fall at EGGFEST feelin' sorry for me and giving me a bone to chew on I wouldn't even know what I was missing.Anyhow,I usually cook good meaty spare ribs about the same amount your'e cooking,normally I squeeze them into a wire rib rack and go 3/1/1.5.I spray a little apple or pineapple juice on them when they go into the foil and sometimes finish off the last 10 or 15 min. with a good glaze of Bonesuckin' They are mighty FINE!!:-)Bob

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks to all that responded, I will post later how the ribs went over..[p]Wess