Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE Owners...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not a BGE owner YET! But my wife gave me her blessing this past week for our 4th year anniversary. I was planning on purchasing a Large BGE but a buddy of mine has offered to sell me his XL at a price I cannot refuse. The BGE is less than one year old, comes with the cedar table w/wheels, ceramic pizza stone, metal top, cover and a couple of other accessories including all the paperwork etc.[p]Now my question is what are your opinions on the XL BGE? Besides size, what are the major differences between the XL and L BGE that a newbie would not know? And any other advice you can share...[p]Thanks!
AugustaEgger

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    AugustaEgger,[p] It weighs 200 pounds all by it's lonesome.. It will not come with the lifetime warranty.. It's really over-kill unless you are feeding 20+ people everyday..[p] I own two of them only because I cater and compete. [p] The paperwork i.e. manual can be used to start the thing burning :)[p] Get the Large..[p] Why is your friend selling his?

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    AugustaEgger,
    If your in Augusta, GA not Augusta, ME get a hold of Larry Ward (YB) and ask if he'll let you take a look at his collection to help you decide.[p]John

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    AugustaEgger,
    If you can get the XL for the cost of a L that is fantastic.
    I've been weighing my options as my better half has gotten over the "one egg is enough" thing and am having a hard time justifying an XL.
    It takes a LOT of charcoal to fill that puppy. 90% of my cooks are for the two and 1/2 of us. If I competed or hosted office pot lucks or didn't mind burning a bunch of lump for two steaks the XL would be great. Otherwise I believe the L is a better choice.
    That's just my opinion, and if the price was right I may overlook a few things. Good luck!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    AugustaEgger,
    If the XL is a great price, buy it. Esp with all the stuff included. I love mine. Great for wings and stuff with all the grill space. I use a Weber 22" grate on fire bricks to raise level. Cook main meat, corn on the cob and heat bread all at the same time.
    Pick up a small later. The XL burns more lump than large but still burns less than my Weber Kettle I used for years...
    Lump burning is relevent but by no way a killer. I pay half of what others pay for lump in some parts of the country so a little more lump is no big deal. I always find something to add to the grill and never end up cooking just 2 steaks.
    Good luck,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas