Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

bagels on an egg??

JQuinnJQuinn Posts: 44
edited 8:13PM in EggHead Forum
Thinking about getting into bread and bagels....
Has anyone attempted bagels on an egg?? thanks JQ

·

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    JQuinn,[p] You do know that Bagels are boiled first... Then they are baked to get the outside brown and crispy..
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Celtic Wolf,
    ...and that the only diff between pretzels and bagels (besides shape) is that pretzels get a lye bath first? without the lye bath, pretzels are funny-shaped bagels, essentially.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • JQuinnJQuinn Posts: 44
    yes, I know that bagels need to take a bath before they go to bed. I just didnt want to be a know it all. LOL so have you guys ever attempted bagels on the egg?? have any great recipes? thanks JQ
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Jquinn,[p] I have attempted Bagels at Brueggers :)
    ·
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    JQuinn,[p]Yes, if you can bake bagels in a regular oven, you can bake them on an egg. I use my XL BGE most of the time for baking breads, including bagels.[p]Good luck,[p]
    ·
  • JQuinnJQuinn Posts: 44
    Puj,
    Hey do you have any tips or great recipes for your bagels??? how long do you boil them and cook them?? thanks JQ

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,122
    stike,
    is it any old lye from a hardware store or do they make something just for pretzels

·
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    JQuinn,[p]I follow the Izzy Cohen bagel recipe verbatim. This recipe can be found in "Breads from the La Brea Bakery", Nancy Silverton, pp.220-224.[p]The book is one of the best on the market.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Breads from the La Brea Bakery[/ul]
    ·