Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Y'all are always such a great help, I know this one is a no brainer.[p]I've got an 8+ pound untrimmed brisket waiting to meet the Egg.
I'm going to trim and prepare it tonight, I think, and cook tomorrow.
Need some advice on time and temps.
Thanks

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Shelby,[p]You can expect about 2.5 hours a pound at about 200-225. I typically cook mine indirect, generally around 200 or so and it takes all of 2.5 hours a pound. For your brisket I'd expect about 18-20 hours at 200-225.[p]Others will chime it for a bit higher temps. I, for some reason, have always cooked mine low, real low. No real reason, just what I learned to do and its tough to teach an old dog new tricks. It works for me.[p]The brisket will be done when the internal temp is about 190 or so. It will plateau at about 155-165 seemingly for HOURS, this is normal. This is the temperature where the heat breaks down all of the callogen and connective tissues in the meat and makes it tender. Once it goes through this plateau you can kickup the heat a bit and finish it off quicker if you want. 190 or so is what you're shooting for as the finished product.[p]Good luck. Others will chime in for a bit higher temp cook, this is the way I do them though.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Shelby,
    I like 250 over a drip pan. Probably looking at a 15 hour cook.
    You could shorten the cook a little by kicking up to 300 after the internal is 170, but resist kicking it up before then, as the magic breakdown of collagen needs time, and usually occurs between 155 and 170. Pull off at 185, or when you can twist a fork in it. Enjoy. It don't get much better than a chunk-o-chest. 12 hours is probably the shortest cook you can expect if you want the best brisket. But every one is different. [p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Dang near collided with ya NB. You cook yours a bit hotter than I do and the times are shorter. One of these days I'm going to try that, would make the cook day a bit shorter thats for sure.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Yeah, I almost took off your side mirror![p]My first 4 briskets I cooked just like you do. Then I tried 250, and even 275, and had great results and no noticeable difference in quality. Was really suprised how well the 275 one came out. I have just settled on 250 as it seems right. Yet I still will go lower if I need to draw the cook out for timing purposes. [p]Basically a whole bunch of roads lead to a great chunk-o-chest....as long as you take the long way home!
    Cheers...BTW, your post about the salmon has me thinking about doing it soon.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Shelby
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Over a drip pan, you're talking indirect, right? Use the place setter to hold it? Also, for that long of a cook, I guess load up the firebox pretty well with coal?
    Times are a bit longer than I'd anticipated; may let it hold till the weekend for Mother's Day. If so, will start it the night before and let the egg work magic all night!
    Which leads to another question: the brisket is still sealed
    in that cyrowrap stuff. I bought it this past Saturday; think it'll hold a few more days?
    Thanks again!

• sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Its been a few months since I've cooked a brisket but I have one in the basement that is calling to me. I picked up a couple at the store when they were on sale just to have them for when I get the urge. One turned into jerkey a couple of weekends ago, the other is still there.[p]Its that time of year again for me. I've donned the fish gills and I dont plan on coming up for air until the freezer is empty. I have about 40 pounds of Cobia fillets, a couple dozen spanish mackerel, a couple red snapper and a couple black snapper, and a slab of salmon as well. My folks are due back in town today in fact, that will definitely add to the stock as well. LOVE that fish on the grill. That salmon is great, would highly recommend it. I really want to try Gretls recipe as its posted, its a great way to cook salmon and I may try it on some other fillets that I have as well.[p]Troy
  • fontzmark
    fontzmark Posts: 28
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    This is such a great forum, I am definately addicted to egging!!! Brisket sounds good may want to try one this weekend. I am new to brisket never really hear much about it here, how much smoke if any do you put on it? How would you serve it? What kind of sauce would go with it?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Shelby,
    Yep, indirect. I just use a second grate elevated over a dry drip pan. Occasionally I use water in the pan, but the only difference seems to be cooking slower with water. I load the firebox to the top (just into the fire ring area), and it will go for over 24 hours at 250. [p]Yeah, best to allow plenty of time, as time is the key here. It will stay good for over a week in the cryovac. Wait for the right moment. [p]I have been doing all night cooks while I sleep, but until you get the hang of it, you might want to set your alarm for once at, say 3am. That way if the fire has gone out, you can get it going again without affecting your cook very much. With a good fire, and the correct vent settings, most of the time it will be going fine when you wake up.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    fontzmark,
    An awesome forum indeed.[p]I go fairly light on the smoke. 1 baseball size hunk or smaller directly in the fire, and one or two smaller ones a few inches away from the core fire. Brisket can take on plenty of smoke.[p]To serve, just rest for 20-30 minutes, or wrap in foil to a warm cooler to hold for up to 3 hours or more. Then slice thin accross the grain, and serve with your favorite sauce. Shake's, JJ's, James, Cat's, Gfw's...all good, The brisket has a whole lot of beef flavor in it.[p]maybe serve with some potato salad, or jalapeno corn casserole.
    cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Man. I would love that freezer over here. I too love fish, and it is one of the things my wife can't get enough of. Gretl's recipe is awesome as is. Though it seems whatever I do with Salmon, from a high heat sear, to a low smoke, has been great. Fish is good every way but overcooked!
    seeya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Nature Boy says,"I have been doing all night cooks while I sleep, but until you get the hang of it, you might want to set your alarm for once at, say 3am."[p]Whenever I do overnight cooks, I have an internal alarm that wakes me up every hour or so! I've had the fire go completely out a couple of tmes, so I can never be fully asleep when I cook overnight!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Forgot to respond to one part of your question.
    The plate setter would work very well. Flip it over, set it on the fire ring, wrap with foil, stick the top grate on (resting on the platesetters legs). You could even do that without a drip pan. Simple and effective.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Shelby
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Sounds perfect! Think I'll treat Momma to some brisket for Mother's Day since she's never had anything off the Egg.
    As for overnight cooks, I'm used to doing them on the water-pan smoker and it was a royal pain so this should be a treat!
    Now...about fish: what kind of grate/grill do you use?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Shelby,
    I cook fish right on the BGE grate. Flip only once (if at all). I use oil in my seasoning paste which helps prevent sticking. A hot grill and a few minutes to give it time to "release itself", and you can usually get a good flip. With lower temp smoking of fish, sticking is not a problem.[p]Enjoy your Mom's day brisket. Choose a Choice grade brisket with a full coverage of fat for best results!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com