Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for new pizza stone

Options
AZ Traveler
AZ Traveler Posts: 664
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was baking a pizza last night and about 3/4 of the way through I looked in the top vent to check it out. It looked strange and was wondering why it was curling up. When I opened it up to take it out I saw that it hadn't curled up. It was a broken stone.[p]IMG_0559.jpg[p]IMG_0560.jpg[p]I guess I will have to call the Mothership about ordering one.
Darn, AZ

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    I have to wonder if using the 3 feet that way created some possible stress. Personally I just place my stone directly on the plate setter. I've got 7 years of heavy use on my stone. Might be an interesting poll amongst those who have broken their stones what their set up was at the time.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZ Traveler,
    was that a bge stone? or some other brand?

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    It was another brand that the wife had in the kitchen. I got a lot of use out it. May I ask what stone you use if any? I need to get another as I use it often. Thanks, AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    RRP,
    That is a very good question. It would be an interesting poll to see how most of the broken stones have happened. Maybe the TNW might know. What brand stone are you using? Thanks, AZ

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    Using the BGE feet leaves the center of the stone unsupported. I've been using the platesetter legs up with the grid, and setting the stone on the grid. It makes for a very stable stone. -RP

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    If the other brand was 'PS' you're not the first to have one crack. Mine died in an oven.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    AZRP,
    That sounds like the logical way to do it. That is how I used it to bake my bread, just never considered it for pizza. What pizza stone are you using? I would like to get one that would last as I use it a lot. Thanks, AZ

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Isn't chef spelled with a C, not an S ?? ;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    I don't know, I've got a couple of them bought at kitchen stores or Target. I did have one break in the oven years ago that I think was a Pampered Chef. -RP

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Oops meant 'PC' Pampered Chef. The BGE stone is tough. I've used it nearly 50 times at 5-600 degrees with no problems.
    I haven't set it on the BGE feet though so....

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    I usually use my 16" stone from crate and barrel (whick they don't sell any more) or the 12/14" stones from BGE. I also have a 15" stone from Komodo Kamado which I haven't used yet. I always place the stone on the plate setter, or in the case of the small Egg, on a raised grid. [p]Some folks say they put their stone on the plate setter, lets up, don't they? [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    hayhonker,
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    From all of the information so far today it sounds like it needs to be supported all the way across. So, I need to get a new stone and use it with full support. Thanks a bunch for your input. AZ

• AZ Traveler ,
    all i've ever used is the bge 12" pizza stone for the medium.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Thanks, sounds like the one from BGE last longer. AZ

• AZ Traveler ,
    i've only had it since the end of september, but i use it a lot

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Since you asked...mine is the BGE brand. Forgot what I paid, but the rationale was it would be the best as it is made from the same "space age ceramic" as the setter it rests on and the BGE it is inside! HONEST - in 7 years I have yet to see a post that anybody has had their BGE brand pizza stone break. Makes me a believer - let alone with my own eggperience!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />AZ Traveler,[p]I use a cheap $10 stone I got at Wal-Mart about 18 months ago. I've used it in the oven a few times, and on the egg twice. As you can see, my most recent use was Saturday using the same BGE feet arrangement you used. No problems, and it is significantly thinner than the BGE stone. It does me well and when it breaks I will be getting the BGE stone. Actually, I'm tempted to chuck it against the wall just to justify the purchase!!!![p]Did you warm the stone up with your egg? I seem to remember many forum posters suggesting to do that as opposed to tossing a cold pizza stone in a hot egg.[p]Btw, what is the purpose of the aluminum foil wrapped around your plate setter?[p]Ottawa_egger[p]
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    Yes, I start the fire then put in the platesetter and baking stone and let it come up to temp. with everything else. It wasn't shocked. I usally have my platesetter wrapped in foil for doing indirect cooks to avoid having to bake off spills. It is really wrapped to be used in the legs up position.
    Our Wal-Mart doesn't carry stones. Hope all is well up your way. AZ