Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back ribs -- meat temp is key

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
More and more I have become a believer in checking the meat temps in ribs to determine doneness. Sorry to those who say to twist them -- I can't get the hang of that with Bay Backs, maybe it works on spares better, I have relied more on the temp between the bones. I try to measure on the thick end where there is a thicker piece of meat to stick and 185+ is my goal. Avoid letting it touch bone which would give a higher reading.[p]Last night I put on a rack-o-babies indirect over a drip pan (my double boiler style). After cooking at 275-300 for 3 hr I checked the meat temp --- 150deg. HOW after 3hr is it only at 150. Amazing, after 4 hr they were 180 deg and my planned dinner was now 30 min late. Luckily its just myself and the bottomless meat pit (aka son) so I knew I wouldn't get yelled at for being late - so I pressed on. After 15-20 min the meat was pulled and checked out at 185 in a thick spot, it would be higher in the thiner middle section. They were very good and the meat was firm yet still somewhat moist and very tender. I did sauce them for the last hour and 20 min. The thicker parts were tougher and did not pull clean from the bone while the center ones did - easily.[p]The moral seems to be that it takes 185+ meat temps before you get a clean pulling baby back rib and 190 would be better yet. It still seems hard to believe that it takes 4.3 hr to get a rib upto 185 deg - but its worth it!![p]Tim

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Tim M,
    Used you method on some baby's Saturday. I was running about 20 deg. hotter than you suggest. They took just a shy less than 4 hrs. Greatest ribs we ever had. Can't wait to try again.
    Thanks,
    B D

• SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Options
    Tim M,
    Once again we revisit the cooking methods for baby backs. I have come to the conclusion that everyone has their own idea as to what good ribs are and they are justifiably right to their opinions. It depends on how you like your ribs cooked, just like everyone likes their steaks cooked differently. I had some great ribs at the EGGFEST, but I happen to like the way we cook them better. We cooked some Saturday with the new charcoal and using GFW's 3-2-1 method. We also used our new platesetter this time and I must admit, they get better and better everytime. So cook away my friends and keep passing along the ideas. That is what makes this forum so great!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    SpiceCooks,[p]I agree. I wish I had taken the 5 hrs to do some that way to let those who haven't tried them that way taste some. Next year - I WILL DO IT!![p]Tim 73's
  • Unknown
    Options
    I,too, use the thermometer to determine when the ribs are done. I insert the Polder probe in the thin part of the slab, and at 195 deg I cut-off and remove the thin section and insert the probe into the remaining thick section. While the thick section continues cooking toward 195, we're eating. I always do ribs indirect as close to 200 deg grill temp as I can control it.