Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked trout

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Those of you that like smoked fish should give rainbow trout a try. I did 4 nice fillets this weekend and i think it may give salmon a run for it's money. I brined for 2 hrs, dried for 2 hrs and then refrigerated for 2 hours. Smoked it for almost 2 hours, direct, with a combo of alder and sugar maple. Used the Char-Woody smokey fire method for a ton of smoke, put the fish on at 150 and let it slowly raise to almost 200 for the remainder. The fish was moist and smoky, and was almost more popular than the 6 rack of baby backs (almost). All in all a great weekend. [p]Chuck

Comments

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Chuck,
    I made some Artic Char that was great too. Salmon like--little bigger than trout. I am big on Swordfish lately..Nice center cuts from a fresh source then
    mix Soy,Thai peanut-ginger,lemmon with some chopped garlic
    ....first I add a pinch of sea salt| pure sugar | crushed pepper...then spoon over the light marinade and let sit for no more than a few hours or just straight out.[p]Cherry , apple and Alder are my best for fish. Pecan and even something as strong as hickory can be used, but i like the lighter fruit wood for flavor.

• Unknown
    Options
    alternity,[p]I went about an hour and a half for a nice 1lb+ plus steak.
    SO buttery and flavorful.[p]Slow smoking swordfish too is excellent because it like salmon has a nice content of oil to give you a margin of error befor you dry it out. Enjoy

• Chuck
    Options
    alternity,
    Sounds great. I think i'll give the swordfish a try along with you marinade. Thanks for the suggestion.[p]Chuck

• Vents
    Vents Posts: 15
    Options
    Chuck,
    I'm not familiar with Char-woodys extra smoke method.How does that work?

• Chuck
    Options
    Vents,
    I'll email you his directions. They work great.
    Chuck