Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skin on Bone in breasts cook temp ?

City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 8 nice breasts to do, leaving skin on and bone in. What is the best dome temp to use, and I am going to use platesetter and drip pan unless you all think direct is better.

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    City Slicker,[p]I like to do them direct on a raised grid at 350-375, just like a spatchcocked chicken. Put them bone-side down and cook around 45 minutes until done. I find the skin gets crispier if you run your fingers in between the skin and meat. Just make sure you don't completely separate the skin from the breast -- you want to keep it covered. You can also rub some spices of your choice underneath the skin. Rubbing a little olive oil on the outside of the skin and sprinkling with seasoning is also good. I like italian herbs, jerk spices, or BBQ rub. Depends on what mood you are in.[p]In principle, you could cook indirect over the plate setter and drip pan at around 325-350 degrees and it would work fine. I just think the direct method gives a better texture. With chicken breasts on a raised grid, you won't get enough grease drippings to produce a nasty smoke.
  • City Slicker,
    I'd go direct, to be honest. I usually do whole birds indirect. As to temperature, 160 is good. 170 is "official."

• City Slicker,
    Just to add, the "official" temps may have changed recently. The deal with breasts is to avoid drying them out (even with some skin to help). I'm with Kevin on the dome temp. Go for 350 , about 45 minutes or less, checking and maybe turning every 15 minutes or so. I usually finish skin-on breasts with a few minutes, skin-down, over an open egg with flare-ups, to get some crispiness if I need it.
    My two cents, as usual.

• KevinH,
    Thanks for the tips all. Will take the plate setter out, was afraid to use it right now as it is ice cold, forgot to bring it in last night after doing my ribs. Afraid to crack it.