Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Sauce Recipe

FowlMouth
FowlMouth Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make a great sauce with my son. Can anyone post one that we can do from scratch and not use catsup? Would rather have one that requires a long slow simmer for the bonding time. thanks

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    FowlMouth,[p]I make the following recipe regularly. I've made lots of modifications, but it is still really good just the way the recipe reads (the words/ commentary are not mine).[p]I've got a pot simmering on the cooktop right now - great minds think alike!! :)[p]Here you go:[p]This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts. [p]Mix in big pot over low heat[p]1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef boullion strong
    6 Cups H20[p]When sugars dissolve, add[p]1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    2 cups (16oz) tomato paste
    Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno. [p]Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    AlaskanC,
    That recipe is the popular J.K.'s Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce posted here by Mike Flaherty back in 2001. Just so happens I made yet another big batch of it myself just yesterday! For those parts of the recipe that are sort of missing I'll offer what has worked well for us. It makes the sauce sassy but not burning.
    For the Kitchen Bouquet I use 2 T
    For heat I use 1 t of Chipotle and 2 T of chili powder.[p]Man-o-man is that good stuff!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AlaskanC
    RRP,[p]Whooops - I forgot to add the original title & poster![p]I change mine a bit by adding apple sauce and a few dashes of this & that. Each batch is different, and every time I vow to write down what I did.....and I never get around to it. ;)
  • LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    FowlMouth,[p]Here is the one I make.[p]Hard Sauce[p]1-quart vinegar
    1-quart ketchup
    1 pt. Mustard
    1 stick margarine
    5.5 cups sugar
    3 tbsp black pepper
    Cayenne pepper (to taste)[p]Mix together and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 1.5 hours.
    Stir it often in the 1st thirty minutes or so till everything is well blended.[p]I replace some of the sugar with home-made sugar cane molasses that I get from a co-worker. I make a double batch which fills up an eight quart soup pot. I bottle it and give it to friends and family. The amount of cayenne dictates the final "HEAT."

• This is now my wifes favorite sauce. The next time I make it I'm going to add molasses to it and see how we like that.

• AlaskanC
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]I add molasses and honey. I like the way it changes the texture & taste.
  • FowlMouth
    FowlMouth Posts: 14
    AlaskanC,
    Thanks that is the recipe that I left back in Georgia on my computer. Going out now to get all I need. THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ON THIS!!!!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    by the way just so the background story continues to live here is Mike Flaherty's intro to that wonderful recipe:[p]Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectatular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.[p]When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone. [p]So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing margueritas and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe. [p]You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I belive that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitly greater than it's individual components. [p]This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts. [p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.