Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potato Kick Start

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have posted this in the past, but with all the newcomers, maybe bears repeating. If you feel the need and time is important you can kick start your baked potato in the microwave. I prepare mine with olive oil rub, then some seasonings (your choice, I use Lawreys Garlic salt) and wrap in a paper towel. Cook on high for no longer than 2 minutes. Shorten this time if you have a super hot high side on your microwave. All you need to do is to heat up the inside of your potato, and let the ceramic cooker finish up the cook unwrapped with the terrific light smoke exterior that nothing compares too. It beats nails and puppy dog tails...:-)[p]Cheers..
C~W

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Very good tip. Jim Nufer made some awesome taters for Eggfest this year. I think he smoked over apple wood at 250* direct on the grill. After they were cooked, I think he took them off, sliced, and then topped with cheese, bacon, and some other goodies and threw back on the grill to melt the cheese. An excellent smokey tater! Maybe he'll post the recipe or give it to someone to "ghost post" (I know the BGE employees don't often post here).[p]Anyway, thanks for the tip. Shoulder is at 183.[p]Cornfed
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Cornfed,
    That was Jewel not Jim that cooked them taters.

• Cornfed
    Options
    JJ,[p]Oops. Goes to show how much I pay attention...[p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Cornfed, I now make extra potato as described in my post earlier, and they go for days in the fridge. When I need one, I dice it up on a platter, add butter, melt it a skosh, add slices of Jalepono cheese or pepperjack, melt that in and heavens gates open temporarily. Delicious for a variation.
    Cheers to ya..Thanks for your tip also. I will try it.
    C~W[p]

• Hayhill
    Hayhill Posts: 11
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the tip. Can you give us newbies a ballpark time/temp estimate in the BGE?

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Hayhill, usually a unkick started large Idaho potato will take approx 1 hour at 325 to 350 F..I usually put in the spuds according to the meats I am cooking like chicken a half hour after I put the birds in. Even if the spud gets done earlier..a quick wrap in foil keeps em for the meal.
    Bigger spud takes longer and smaller takes less time of course.
    Good luck..
    C~W
    (Toss in a sweet tater or two half hour to 45 minutes in honor of Dr. Chick..:-))
    CW

• Cornfed
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I like the jalepeno/pepperjack comment. As you may have guessed, that's the kind of stuff that's right up my alley. As I mentioned at Eggfest, take anything that's good and add bacon and it will most likely be a little better. I also feel that if you take anything good and add some spicey cheese it will be even better.[p]Pork was gooooood!!! By next weekend, I'll be having some of these taters.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cornfed, they are even good taken from the fridge, mashed and heated back up..add the butter, and cheese and melt em down. Hoooooo. I like em.
    Enjoy..
    C~W[p]