Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Sink Question

Options
Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to place a sink in the table I plan to build for my egg. It will sit on my deck. Do ya'll think it would be an issue to simply drain the water under my deck? I don't have a basement so that is not a problem. I thought I would use a Y connection on my water spicket and run a white potable water hose.[p]Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    Against code in most places.
    Also keeps a constant moist area to feed termites.
    These might not be a factor in your area.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    Right, wrong, or indifferent...thats what I do with mine in my tiki bar...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Bama Egger,[p]I have an outdoor sink that drains into a dry well.
    Two lengths of flexible septic tank drain field pipe (about 20 ft long) buried about a foot down, and around 10-15ft away from the outdoor kitchen. This way I don’t have any puddles or bit of stuff for the bugs to munch on, above ground anyway.
    The sink is used only for light duty, washing hands, rinsing utensils, etc, and we are aware of it’s limitations at home, however, guests don’t know and want to wash everything in it.
    Washing food particles under the deck, even out-of-site, especially meat, could be kind of un-sanitary.[p]My two cents worth

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    Some areas permit installing a sort of "field drain" setup whereas you pipe to a large hole in the ground that is usually filled with sand and gravel. The water will drain through eventually leaving whatever solids are there. This is NOT intended for toilet or food particles from a garbage disposal unit. You will probably ruin some of your yard and have to dig a new one every few years.[p]But before you go to all that trouble I would try two things: Call a plumber for an estimate to hook it up right, and consider running an inch and a half hose to your closest sewer line access. That might not work if your sink is lower than the sewer access though. Garden hoses are too small for meaningful discharge of drain water.[p]I did my own plumbing. It really isn't that difficult and mine is totally legal. I had to dig down about four feet and then install a special connector (saddle). The rest was a piece 'o cake with only a few intermittent strings of %^#&*@.[p]If you decide to do it yourself, talk to a Home Depot or Lowe's plumbing department rep.[p]Spring "Draining Good" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    I have an outdoor sink and just keep a bucket under the drain. I carry thew bucket over and empty it in my composte heap.
    Initially, I wanted to go furthur and include a disposal in the outside sink but have not got around to that yet. I figured the ground up veggie parts would be great in the composte heap.
    Dave